Oz Muslim woman told to remove face veil during job interview raises Islamists’ ireJune 21st, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
Darwin (Australia), June 21(ANI): An Australian Muslim woman has complained that she was told to remove her face veil during a job interview at a Northern Territory hospital in Darwin.
According to reports, a doctor at Royal Darwin Hospital asked the young woman to remove her veil during an administration job interview.
The woman, however, refused to do so, and filed an official complaint.
The Northern Territory Anti-Discrimination Commission officers have launched an investigation into the matter.
Meanwhile, Northern Territory Islamic Society President, Adil Jamil, said that it was considered “offensive” to ask a woman to take off her hijab.
“It’s against their religious beliefs. It can seriously hurt their inner self,” The Herald Sun quoted Jamil, as saying.
“Under traditional Islamic view, a woman cannot show her face to any man except her husband and male relatives,” he added.
He further said that there were about 2000 Muslims in the territory, but less than two percent wore a veil.
“They see it as reinforcing their religious beliefs and inner satisfaction,” Jamil said.
The case comes at a time when several western countries are following France’s lead in banning the wearing of the hijab in public.(ANI)
- Man punches nurse for removing wife's burqa - Dec 23, 2011
- Australian distrust of Muslims widespread: Rights report - Mar 21, 2011
- Oz Muslim woman sentenced to six months' jail for false hijab complaint - Nov 19, 2010
- France puts burqua ban into effect - Apr 11, 2011
- 6-yr-old Muslim girl banned from riding bus for bullying boy over hijab abuse - Oct 20, 2010
- Veiled Muslim women barred from entering France - Jun 13, 2012
- Hesse becomes first German state to ban Islamic face veil - Feb 05, 2011
- Egyptian channel with veiled women launches broadcast - Jul 21, 2012
- Disneyland Muslim woman employee agrees to wear beret over hijab to end standoff - Sep 30, 2010
- Muslims facing problems in Britain: Iranian student leader - Nov 02, 2011
- Muslim women who wear headscarves face workplace discrimination in US - Sep 29, 2010
- Veil row in Italy after woman fined by cops - May 05, 2010
- 'Mortified' Muslim women barred from US skating rink for not removing headscarves - Nov 26, 2010
- Niqab becoming a flash point in Canada - Mar 23, 2010
- Niqab ban gets unanimous support in Canada - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: adil, darwin australia, discrimination commission, herald sun, hijab, inner satisfaction, islamic society, islamic view, jamil, job interview, june 21, male relatives, muslim woman, muslims, northern territory, religious beliefs, society president, veil, western countries, young woman