Oz man who pimped 12-year-old girl jailed for 10 yearsMarch 25th, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 25 (ANI): An Australian man, who admitted to pimping a 12-year-old girl to have sex with 100 men, has been sentenced to jail for 10 years.
Gary John Devine, 51, of Glenorchy, who admitted to selling the girl for sex over a four week period in August and September last year, will have to serve at least eight years of the sentence before he can apply for parole.
Justice Peter Evans said it was the first time a Tasmanian court has dealt with crimes of this nature.
“I have paid some regard to the sort of sentence that a conviction for instigating the multiple rape of a child would attract,” the Mercury quoted Justice Evans as saying.
“Whilst lack of consent is a significant point of difference between the crime of rape and the conduct in question, the starkness of that difference is diminished when the victim is a 12-year-old,” he said.
Devine pleaded guilty to procuring unlawful sexual intercourse with a young person, permitting unlawful sexual intercourse with a young person on premises, being a commercial operator of a sexual services business and receiving a fee derived directly from sexual services provided by a child in a sexual services business.
Justice Evans said the girl has been spurned by former friends and no longer attends school, participating instead in distance education.
“Experience suggests that in the course of time she may suffer from psychiatric problems that can be attributed to the abuse she has suffered,” Justice Evans added. (ANI)
- Oz mother prostitutes 12-year-old daughter to pay off debts - May 10, 2010
- Oz mum who forced daughter, 12, into prostitution jailed for 10 years - May 14, 2010
- Oz man gets suspended sentence for raping, impregnating sister - Jan 31, 2011
- Australian ex-MP escapes jail over child sex - Nov 29, 2011
- Oz man pleads guilty to prostituting girl, 12, sharing proceeds with her mum - Mar 23, 2010
- Woman admits to using 12-year-old daughter as sex worker - May 10, 2010
- Oz mom charged for forcing minor daughter to have sex with 120 men - Feb 20, 2010
- Case of Tasmanian MP accused of having sex with girl, 12, returns to court - Apr 12, 2010
- Sheffield striker jailed for five years for rape - Apr 21, 2012
- Briton clicks himself raping child, jailed - Aug 12, 2012
- US mom facing 5 yrs in jail after pleading no contest to sex with teen boys - Feb 26, 2011
- Sexual grooming of white girls an Asian problem: Official - Jun 08, 2012
- Paedophile schoolteacher films himself abusing girls - Jun 11, 2011
- More than 400 Afghan women jailed for 'moral crimes' - Mar 29, 2012
- Asian brothers convicted of grooming schoolgirls for sex - Aug 09, 2012
Tags: 10 years, august and september, australian man, commercial operator, conviction, crime of rape, crimes, distance education, education experience, glenorchy, john devine, justice evans, old girl, peter evans, premises, psychiatric problems, services business, sexual services, unlawful sexual intercourse, young person