Oz Government takes record 30-mn dollars worth of VIP flightsJune 18th, 2009 - 5:58 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, June 18 (ANI): The Kevin Rudd Government has smashed the annual record for VIP jet flights, handing taxpayers a three million dollars bill in the process.
New figures show VIP aircraft activity last year was up to 10 per cent more than the previous year, The Daily Telegraph reports.
Government documents say the increase was due solely to extra use by Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and Governor-General Quentin Bryce.
Labor was highly critical of former Prime Minister John Howard’s use of the RAAF-run planes to travel from his home in Sydney to his office in Canberra but in the past year it has pushed “VIP Air” to new heights.
It costs more than 30 million dollars a year to operate two Boeing 737s and four smaller 10-seat Challenger 604 planes. A 10 per cent jump generates an addition three million dollars cost to taxpayers.
Flown by the RAAF’s No.34 Squadron at Fairbairn base in Canberra, the jets ferry the Governor-General, Prime Minister, ministers, Opposition MPs, officers and visiting dignitaries around the nation and the world.
Rudd, who uses the planes more than anyone else, got into hot water earlier this year when The Daily Telegraph revealed he had abused a flight attendant over the lack of food on a flight from Port Moresby.
Since his election in November 2007, Rudd - labelled Kevin 747 for his frequent flights - has flown VIP Air to countries including Malaysia, South Korea, United Arab Emirates, Niue, Peru, New Zealand and Singapore. (ANI)
- Faulty luxury planes ferrying Oz VIP's living only on hope and prayer - Jan 22, 2011
- Oz PM apologises for making stewardess cry over in flight meal - Apr 03, 2009
- Rudd's three course in-flight gourmet meals leaving Oz taxpayers broke! - Apr 22, 2009
- Julia Gillard becomes first Oz female PM as Rudd steps down in tears - Jun 24, 2010
- Julia Gillard becomes Australia's first female Prime Minister - Jun 24, 2010
- Obama to visit Australia only for 24 hours - Mar 16, 2010
- Kevin Rudd buys $3.1m holiday house at Castaways Beach - Feb 16, 2011
- Oz PM Gillard has election winning lead - Jul 18, 2010
- Rudd's short temper triggers exodus of personal staff - Apr 04, 2009
- Gillard announces Aug 21 polls, seeks mandate 'to move Australia forward' - Jul 17, 2010
- Julia Gillard's RAAF pilots suspended following drunken escapade - Dec 24, 2010
- Rudd hopes to have a beer with Prince William - Jan 18, 2010
- Australia's foreign minister quits - Feb 22, 2012
- Gillard likely to meet Oz Governor General to set election date - Jul 16, 2010
- CHOGM call to end forced marriages - Oct 29, 2011
Tags: boeing 737s, challenger 604, daily telegraph, dignitaries, flight attendant, former prime minister, frequent flights, government documents, governor general, jet flights, kevin rudd, minister john howard, opposition mps, port moresby, prime minister john, prime minister john howard, south korea, telegraph reports, united arab emirates, vip flights