Oz girl cancels Facebook party after 20,000 claimed they would attendMarch 14th, 2011 - 6:37 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar 14 (ANI): A 15-year-old girl from Chatswood had to call off an “open house party” she had organized on Facebook, when more than 20,000 people claimed they would be attending.
The party was meant to be a quiet get-together with a few friends from school but the invitation went viral within 24 hours, reports the Daily Telegraph.
This led her to cancel her 16th birthday bash and subsequently remove the event from the social networking site.
However, a replica invitation appeared an hour later.
The hoax invitation has continued to attract interest, with 50,000 guests listed as attending at lunchtime today.
Police are now looking for the creator of the fake invitation.
Chatswood Inspector Peter Yeomans said parties advertised on Facebook were a bad idea.
“It has a huge number of hits online and has the potential to turn very serious,” he said. (ANI)
- Oz girl cancels Facebook birthday bash after 180K people accept invite! - Mar 15, 2011
- David Cameron, wife to host royal wedding street party - Mar 28, 2011
- 1,900 held in China fake drug racket - Aug 05, 2012
- Katy Perry gifts Russell Brand a space trip - Jun 10, 2010
- Hilary Swank criticized for going to Chechnya - Oct 12, 2011
- Beckhams plan lavish first birthday for Harper - Jun 29, 2012
- Brit boy's Facebook party invite gets 21,000 responses - Sep 20, 2010
- Arjun's real life birthday in reel - Nov 29, 2011
- Swank regrets attending Chechen Republic President's party - Oct 14, 2011
- Hilton's birthday cake stolen - Feb 19, 2011
- 21,000 respond to teen's party invite on Facebook - Sep 20, 2010
- Mary-Kate Olsen dating Kanye West? - Jun 12, 2011
- Fake 'dislike' button spreads across Facebook - Aug 17, 2010
- Christian Slater's death reports are a hoax - Feb 01, 2011
- Now, a social network only for women - Dec 15, 2011