Oz gay couple paying 80, 000 dollars to Indian women to have surrogate babiesSeptember 13th, 2010 - 1:47 pm ICT by ANI
Cairns (Australia), Sept 13 (ANI): An Australian gay couple are reportedly paying two Indian women 300 dollars a day for giving birth to their surrogate babies.
According to Cairns.com.au, they are believed to be the first gay dads in Queensland to pay Indian women to carry their children, with the total bill costing up to 80,000 dollars, which would be equivalent to more than 10 years’ wages for each of the women.
The couple have reportedly paid 20,000 dollars for donor eggs from a Caucasian woman in South Africa. However, they would have to undergo DNA tests to prove that the babies descend from an Australian citizen and claim to be a part of the country.
Unpaid altruistic surrogacy was decriminalised in Queensland in February, allowing same-sex couples to be the legal parents of a surrogate child and the right to be listed as parents on the child’s birth certificate.
Action Reform Change Queensland spokesperson Rod Goodbun, a vocal campaigner for reform of the state’s surrogacy laws, said it was extremely rare for gay couples to have children using surrogate mothers overseas.
“There are commercial services and agencies online where they can arrange surrogacy pregnancy and the agency will have a list of women who are willing to partake in surrogacy. “At the moment it’s not widespread and I don’t think it’s a huge trend in the gay community,” he said.
Prior to this, Queensland was the only state where altruistic surrogacy was a criminal offence, which led to a three years’ jail term or 10,000 dollars fine.
India and the US are the two most popular destinations for commercial surrogacy, where contracts for pregnancy are legal. (ANI)
- Britons pay Indians to become surrogate mothers: Report - May 27, 2012
- India becoming a designer baby factory: Author Kishwar Desai (With Image) - May 31, 2012
- Rent-a-womb: India becoming surrogate pregnancy hub - Feb 15, 2011
- Australian gay couple wins parenting right to twins - Jan 22, 2011
- Questions raised over 'outsourcing' of baby-making to India - Dec 11, 2009
- 'Elton John may help make gay surrogacy more socially acceptable' - Jan 02, 2011
- Indian surrogacy brings twin delights to Australian couple - Jan 08, 2012
- Counselling surrogate moms to give up their babies - Jan 15, 2012
- Women's rights being violated in India's surrogacy capital - Mar 02, 2012
- Parents of octuplets in China face hefty fines - Dec 21, 2011
- India a surrogate mum's hub for foreign tourists - Jun 08, 2010
- British surrogate mother 'retires' after 10 children - Jun 30, 2012
- Indian IVF bill may stop gay couple surrogacy - Apr 26, 2010
- American gays looking to Indian surrogate industry to have children - Oct 12, 2009
- Court allows surrogate mother to keep baby - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,