Oz FM Rudd warns of lengthy Libyan actionMarch 21st, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by ANI
Melbourne, Mar. 21 (ANI): Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has said it is important to see this week’s initial bombardment of Libya as “phase one” in a multi-phase operation.
“This will be a long process. I’m not prepared to speculate on timelines here. The truth is, these operations are invariably very difficult, very complex, very time-consuming, very resource-intensive,” the Herald Sun quoted Rudd as telling ABC Television.
Rudd was speaking as the United States, Britain and France continue to pound Libya with air strikes and missiles as part of a United Nations-authorised intervention to stop Muammar Gaddafi’s bloody crackdown on a month-old anti-government rebellion.
One air strike today reportedly flattened a building in Colonel Gaddafi’s heavily fortified residence.
Rudd would not be drawn on whether he wanted the intervention to end in regime change.
“This is a very difficult operation. It has to be undertaken one step at a time. And therefore, to engage in wider speculation on the future of the regime, I’m not prepared to do that,” he said.
Meanwhile Prime Minister Julia Gillard said Colonel Gaddafi had been given the opportunity to stop the violence.
“He chose not to do that,” Gillard said.
Her comments followed those by US Defense Secretary Robert Gates, who said it would be “unwise” to have coalition forces go after Colonel Gaddafi.
Arab League secretary-general Amr Mussa has reportedly criticised the allied strikes on Libya even though he pushed for a no-fly zone.
Rudd said Mussa might have been misquoted or mistranslated. (ANI)
- It will be "unwise" for allied forces to try to kill Gaddafi: Gates - Mar 21, 2011
- Arab League urges UNSC to impose no-fly zone on Libya - Mar 13, 2011
- Cameron urges world leaders to intervene as Gaddafi seeks new arms to crush rebels - Mar 15, 2011
- NATO airstrike targets Libyan state-run TV - Jul 30, 2011
- Obama, Berlusconi agree to raise pressure on Gaddafi - Apr 26, 2011
- Libya heading into civil war - Mar 02, 2011
- West bombs Libya, Gaddafi vows 'long drawn war' (Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- 62 percent of Americans oppose military strikes against Gaddafi's forces until no-fly zone fails - Mar 15, 2011
- Western military strikes on Libya may threaten Gaddafi regime continuance: NYT - Mar 21, 2011
- Australia withdraws diplomats from Libya amid unrest - Feb 27, 2011
- Gaddafi troops take control of Ras Lanuf - Mar 12, 2011
- NATO air strikes in Tripoli kill 19 civilians: Libyan TV - May 25, 2011
- NATO for financing rebel fighters in Libya - May 04, 2011
- Libyan rebels council seeks Arab League recognition - Mar 12, 2011
- NATO campaign aimed at ousting Gaddafi - Russian NATO envoy - May 25, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,