Oz ex-jihad trainer fears further attacks if bin-Laden gets ‘martyr’ statusMay 2nd, 2011 - 6:22 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra, May 2 (ANI): Jack Thomas, an Australian man who had met Osama bin Laden at an al-Qaeda training camp before the 9/11 terror attacks, has welcomed his death, but expressed fears of further attacks if he gets the status of a ‘martyr’.
Although he said that Americans are right to celebrate, he warned of the al-Qaeda leaders legacy, “especially if he is made a martyr”.
“Americans are right to celebrate, I am celebrating as well, he was a murderer. Everyone should feel happy about this. But if it’s your time to die in Islam, it is your time to die. It is written. I cannot say what will happen to him, I am not the judge. But he will be judged,’ The Herald Sun quoted Thomas, as saying.
“But we have to make sure his ideology dies with him. That you would bomb and kill in the name of Jihad is f—ing disgusting. Obviously its good he is dead, but he could be given martydom status. That isn’t a good thing if that happens.
It could mean many more innocent people die and we can’t have that,’ he added.
Thomas, who was cleared of terrorist-related charges in 2008, had reportedly met bin Laden several times when he travelled to Afghanistan in 2001 thinking that he had a religious or moral obligation to fight with the Taliban for an Islamic state.
His views, however, changed after the 9/11 terror attacks.
“That is not Islam,’ Thomas said. (ANI)
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- Bin-Laden's death comes as "double blow" to already 'wounded' al-Qaeda: Experts - May 03, 2011
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- Osama's death, Middle East uprisings a significant blow to Al-Qaeda: US officials - May 04, 2011
- Text of Obama's speech announcing Osama's killing - May 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda determined to make 'new history': report - Apr 30, 2012
- US avoided 'high profile trial' by killing bin-Laden: Analysts - May 03, 2011
- Al Qaeda posts video on 9/11 anniversary - Sep 13, 2011
- Pakistan Taliban threaten US, Pak over Osama bin Laden's killing - May 02, 2011
- `Osama dead but Al Qaeda still dangerous' (Lead) - Apr 30, 2012
- New York police arrest 'al-Qaeda sympathizer' who plotted bombing campaign - Nov 21, 2011
- US attempt to 'assassinate' Osama bin Laden thwarted: Al-Qaeda - Feb 10, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, al qaeda, australian man, canberra, herald sun, ing, islam, islamic state, jack thomas, jihad, legacy, martyr status, moral obligation, murderer, osama bin laden, oz, several times, taliban, terror attacks, training camp