Oz Conservative MP proposes topless beach ban to protect Muslims, AsiansDecember 30th, 2008 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, December 30 (ANI): Australias Conservative MP Fred Nile wants topless bathing banned in New South Wales (NSW) in order to shield Sydney’’s Muslim and Asian communities.
The Reverend Nile claimed that Australia’’s reputation as a conservative but culturally inclusive society was at risk of erosion by more liberal overseas visitors, reports The Sydney Morning Herald.
He said: “Our beaches should be a place where no one is offended, whether it’’s their religious or cultural views.
“If they”ve come from a Middle Eastern or Asian country where women never go topless - in fact they usually wear a lot of clothing - I think it’’s important to respect all the different cultures that make up Australia.”
However, acting Premier Carmel Tebbutt and the NSW Opposition Leader, Barry O”Farrell, both reacted that topless bathing was a matter of concern for local councils, not state governments.
O”Farrell added: “This is a matter for local councils to deliberate, at a time when state parliament should be focusing on roads, public transport, hospitals and education.
“It doesn”t rate on the list of important matters for the Parliament of NSW.” (ANI)
- Australian business delegation to visit India - Nov 09, 2011
- Now, topless women want male boob ban on Oz beaches! - Dec 31, 2008
- Tendulkar conferred SCG honorary life membership - Feb 26, 2012
- Australia-India Business Council dinner cancelled after bomb threat at Sydney hotel - Aug 10, 2010
- Sydney's monorail to be dismantled - Mar 23, 2012
- Australian states for vocational student visa changes - Oct 10, 2011
- India Economic Summit begins in Mumbai Saturday - Nov 10, 2011
- Media should build bridges between India, Australia: Rahman - Jan 14, 2010
- Student vet mauled to death by pygmy elephant - Dec 08, 2011
- Soon, a mother's milk bank for NSW mums who can't breastfeed - Nov 29, 2010
- Bill to ban the burqa to be debated in New South Wales - Jun 23, 2010
- Sex scandal tainted NSW Health Minister to stay on Parliament - Sep 01, 2009
- Radio waves from black hole detected - Jul 11, 2012
- Katich stripped of New South Wales captaincy - Oct 12, 2011
- Australia's New South Wales has most racial tensions - Feb 23, 2011
Tags: asian communities, asian country, asians, carmel tebbutt, conservative mp, different cultures, erosion, fred nile, local councils, morning herald, new south wales, nsw opposition leader, overseas visitors, public transport, reverend, state governments, state parliament, sydney morning herald, topless bathing, topless beach