Oz ‘cannibal’ sentenced to life imprisonment for murdering flatmateApril 4th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Apr 4 (ANI): The Australian man, who was dubbed a “cannibal” for the way he “brutally slaughtered” his flatmate, has been jailed for life.
Robert Ian Logan, 23, admitted to killing Ben Huntingford on June 21, 2006, but pleaded not guilty to murder in the Supreme Court in Brisbane, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.
But a jury found him guilty of the murder, described by prosecutors as a “brutal slaughtering”, in the home they shared at Beenleigh, south of Brisbane.
Acting Justice Julie Dick sentenced Logan to life in prison, and one month for the serious assault of a railway security guard a month before the killing, to which he pleaded guilty.
Logan had told police that he cut Huntingford’s throat from ear to ear, and watched him drag himself to the bedroom, where he later died, and then drank some of his blood.
Another housemate, Ben Casey, likened the crime scene to the killing floor of an abattoir.
Casey told the court he had returned home to find the hallway covered in blood, and Huntingford lying naked on his bedroom floor with his throat cut and numerous other wounds, including partially severed genitals.
Huntingford’s father Peter had told the court that Logan was known for telling “bizarre stories” including that he had eaten human flesh with cannibals in New Zealand when he was a child.
Logan appeared agitated in the dock and glared at Huntingford’s friends, who celebrated audibly when the verdict was read. (ANI)
- Man gets life term for killing, drinking blood - Apr 04, 2011
- Australia chef kills ex-wife for calling him 'eunuch' - Jul 05, 2011
- Company fined $100,000 for improper home insulation - Feb 04, 2011
- Casey Anthony trial continues - Jun 03, 2011
- Casey Anthony trial: Jury sees pictures of Caylee's skull - Jun 10, 2011
- Father kills children to hurt his ex-wife - Dec 09, 2011
- Oz man kills landlord, hacks off 'genitals to keep as souvenir' - Nov 30, 2010
- Caylee Anthony murder trail throws up more surprises - May 27, 2011
- Candlelight vigil for slain TV executive in Delhi - Jul 02, 2011
- Four murdered in Kolkata house - Sep 07, 2012
- I did not kill Kercher: Knox tells court - Oct 03, 2011
- Amanda Knox to sign 2.5 mn pounds book deal - Feb 18, 2012
- Hudson's brother-in-law guilty for murder - May 12, 2012
- Indian man gets life for double murder in Australia - Oct 01, 2010
- Knox flies home after acquittal in murder case - Oct 04, 2011
Tags: abattoir, australian man, bedroom floor, beenleigh, ben casey, cannibal, cannibals, crime scene, hallway, housemate, human flesh, june 21, killing floor, life imprisonment, life in prison, logan, morning herald, prosecutors, security guard, sydney morning herald