Oz body calls for student visa regime reformMarch 14th, 2011 - 4:53 pm ICT by ANI
Canberra (Australia), Mar.14(ANI): The Australian Government has been urged to reform its international student visa program to curb the overseas students downturn.
On Monday, Indrajeet Chauhan, the international students’ officer of the National Union of Students, the peak body representing Australian university students, said it was time the government took action to reverse the fall of international students.
He blamed the reduction of foreign students in Australia on frequent and unclear changes in immigration policies and tough permanent residency requirements.
International students in Australia about to finish their studies and apply for permanent residency are often confused and dismayed due to the changeable immigration policies, he told Xinhua in an interview.
He said the foreign students who did not get permanent residency or whose applications have been delayed are considering or have already left Australia.
This experience has been shared through word-of-mouth in the home countries of these students, which has resulted in lower numbers of international students coming to Australia, he said.
International student visa applications dropped 18.9 percent between the 2008-09 and 2009-10 program years, according to official figures from the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship. (ANI)
- Rise in Indian students opting for Australia - Jul 05, 2011
- Australia asked to spare existing Indian students from new law - Jun 28, 2010
- Ease visa restrictions for India, China: Australian varsities - May 04, 2011
- Stringent visa rules, fear of attack on ethnic students affecting Oz varsity export earnings - Sep 15, 2010
- Fury over Indian students being 'cheated' following change in Oz residency laws - Sep 24, 2010
- Australia to end IELTS monopoly for student visas - Oct 17, 2011
- Faster, easier Australian visas for students - Sep 22, 2011
- Now get confirmed admission for Oz student visa - Nov 09, 2011
- Australia acts tough on education agents - Sep 17, 2009
- Indian students once again head for Australia - May 09, 2012
- Australia announces changed Skilled Migration program - Jul 01, 2010
- Punjab students hail Australian visa review - Dec 16, 2010
- Australia very reliant on foreign students to prop up varsity funding - Sep 08, 2010
- Australia dismisses loss of overseas student as 'good thing' - Mar 09, 2012
- Indian student jailed in Australia in visa scam - Mar 27, 2012
Tags: australian department of immigration, australian government, canberra australia, department of immigration, department of immigration and citizenship, downturn, foreign students, home countries, immigration and citizenship, immigration policies, international student visa, international students, national union of students, overseas students, peak body, residency requirements, student visa applications, visa program, visa regime, xinhua