Owner hit by plane on runway, diesMay 12th, 2012 - 3:02 pm ICT by IANS
Meerut, May 12 (IANS) A 40-year-old man was killed Saturday at the Partapur air strip here after being hit by a micro-lite plane he owned as he clicked its pictures.
Police said the four-seater plane - VT-UAG - belonged to local businessman Mukesh Garg, the victim.
Official sources say the B.R. Ambedkar air strip was not used for commercial purposes and was off and on used for joy rides by businessmen and real estate owners whose small planes were parked in the hanger.
The deceased came to the airport for a joy ride with two friends Saturday. But he chose not to fly but asked his friends to take the small flight as he shot their pictures from the ground.
The two friends, after a 15-minute sortie, were set to land when Garg apparently got dangerously close to the air strip and was hit by one of the rotor blades.
Garg suffered serious gashes on his head and slumped on the strip. By the time the plane halted and people rushed to the spot, he had died.
The pilot and co-pilot also received minor injuries.
The district administration has ordered a probe, which would also cover the apparent lapse by civil aviation authorities because of which Garg was allowed to go on to the runway.
- Owner hit by plane on runway, dies (Lead) - May 12, 2012
- Seven-year-old twins from Jammu co-pilot IAF microlite - Mar 13, 2011
- French envoy to Madagascar survives plane crash - May 11, 2011
- Six dead as plane crashes in Brazil - Jan 16, 2011
- Three dead in Indonesian Air Force plane crash - Jun 21, 2012
- Four die in Brazil plane crash - Feb 17, 2012
- 13 Indians die in Nepal air crash (Third Lead) - May 14, 2012
- IAF Mirage-2000 crashes, pilots bail out (Lead) - Mar 05, 2012
- Women IAF pilots shine in Sikkim relief - Sep 24, 2011
- Co-pilot seat adjustment causes AI jet to plunge a terrifying 7,000-ft - Dec 02, 2010
- Two killed in Canada plane crash - May 26, 2010
- Pilot dies after mid air collision in UK - Jul 05, 2011
- Uproar over Himachal minister, kin using official chopper - Apr 16, 2011
- 13 Indians die as plane crashes in Nepal (Sixth Lead) - May 14, 2012
- Army pilot killed in chopper crash (Second Lead) - May 23, 2012
Tags: air strip, b r ambedkar, businessman, businessmen, civil aviation authorities, co pilot, commercial purposes, deceased, district administration, hanger, joy ride, joy rides, meerut, minor injuries, mukesh, rotor blades, seater plane, small planes, two friends, uag