Over a quarter of voters on Zimbabwe’s electoral rolls ‘are dead’January 22nd, 2011 - 1:20 pm ICT by ANI
Harare, Jan 22 (ANI): Over a quarter of the names on Zimbabwe electoral roll are dead, according to a report by an independent electoral organisation.
The Telegraph quoted the report as also revealing that more that 2,000 voters mentioned on the roll are more than 100 years old.
“The computer test revealed 2,344 people born between 1901 and 1909 aged between 101 and 110 years old. It also revealed nine people born between 1890 and 1900 aged between 111 and 120 years old. There were 93 children below one year old,” the report said.
President Robert Mugabe’s ZANU-PF party has said the country would vote this year to end the veteran leader’s near-two-year power-sharing government with Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai’s Movement for Democratic Change (MDC), the paper said.
In the previous elections, contestants and observers had cited “ghost voters” on the country’s electoral roll.
Zimbabwe’s electoral commission said that the lack of funds is a hurdle that needs to be handled so that a clean voters’ list could be prepared this year.
ZANU-PF and the MDC previously agreed to draft a new constitution before the country’s next elections, but a drive to gather input for the document has been hampered by reports of political intimidation. (ANI)
- Zimbabwe becoming a police state: Tsvangirai - Mar 19, 2011
- Zimbabwe President Mugabe threatens to "crush" opposition ahead of early polls - Dec 20, 2010
- Mugabe fighting for life in Singapore hospital? - Apr 10, 2012
- Zimbabwe lacks funds to organize elections: Finance Minister - Apr 27, 2011
- Zimbabwe police fire tear gas to disperse prayer meeting - Apr 10, 2011
- Mugabe supporters "beyond the reach of the law": Amnesty - Feb 12, 2011
- UN offered lucrative retirement package to Mugabe: Wikileaks - Dec 19, 2010
- Zimbabwe's central bank to lay off 85 percent of staff - Aug 29, 2010
- Mugabe strengthening power base from Chiadzwa diamond auctions - Jan 30, 2011
- North Korea's Zimbabwe warm-up match called off after protests - Jun 01, 2010
- Zimbabwe may impose treason charges against PM Tsvangirai over Wikileaks revelation - Dec 28, 2010
- Zimbabwe's MDC signs up to join Mugabe-led government - Jan 31, 2009
- Zimbabwe opposition activists forced out of homes and beaten - Mar 13, 2011
- IMF restores Zimbabwe's voting rights after seven years - Feb 20, 2010
- Tsvangirai survives car crash, wife killed - Mar 07, 2009
Tags: 100 years, computer test, democratic change, electoral commission, electoral roll, electoral rolls, ghost, hurdle, morgan tsvangirai, observers, political intimidation, president robert mugabe, previous elections, prime minister, robert mugabe, telegraph, veteran leader, voters list, zanu pf, zimbabwe