Over a million Sikhs participate in California paradeNovember 14th, 2007 - 8:29 am ICT by admin
The procession included of a huge truck that was converted into a chariot to carry a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib.
John Singh Gill, a leader of the Sikh community in Yuba city, said such events were are important to educate young Sikhs about their faith.
“For the past many years, we have been following this tradition and, such events certainly help the community to overcome its identity crises in the US,” Gill said.
The event also gives the Sikh community a chance to display their unity and strength, he added.
“This is an example of our relations with people living here,” said Rajinder Singh Chouhan, another organiser.
Volunteers were busy in preparing food for over 200,000 people for the last five days. It was distributed free of cost to the poor and to devotees.
Some devotees also gifted away cash and other items to various charities on the occasion.
The Sikh faith has a following of more than 20 million worldwide. (ANI)
- Over a million Sikhs participate in California parade - Nov 02, 2009
- Tens of thousands of Sikhs attend community parade in Yuba City - Nov 02, 2009
- US TV documentary features Hindus and Sikhs - Apr 05, 2011
- November to be Sikh Awareness Month in California - Sep 05, 2010
- Sikh Parade to mark the 300th Guruship of Guru Granth Sahib - Nov 03, 2008
- Printing of Guru Granth Sahib allowed abroad - Sep 22, 2010
- Guru Nanak Jayanti being celebrated today - Nov 21, 2010
- Golden palanquin set up in Taran Taran Gurdwara in Punjab - Jan 18, 2010
- SGPC not averse to printing Guru Granth Sahib abroad - Feb 14, 2010
- Hindus greet Sikhs on Guru Gobind Singh birthday - Jan 01, 2011
- Punjabi village in US all set for annual Sikh parade - Oct 21, 2009
- Golden Temple honors Hindu statesman - Apr 02, 2011
- Tamils, Punjabis celebrate festivals in Malaysia - Apr 14, 2011
- Sikh devotees celebrate Guru Parab - Dec 24, 2009
- Golden Temple, a symbol of communal harmony - Nov 13, 2009