Over 90 killed in US mass shootings in two yearsApril 4th, 2009 - 10:57 pm ICT by IANS
By Arun Kumar
Washington, April 4 (IANS) Over 90 people, including eight Indians, have been killed in at least eight deadly shootings in the US in the last two years with the one on April 16, 2007 at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg being the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history.
Friday’s killing of 13 people in a shooting rampage inside a New York State immigration services centre was at least the fifth deadly mass shooting in the US in the last month alone that have left 44 people dead in all, according to an MSNBC compilation.
Earlier mass shootings in the US in the last two years:
March 29, 2009: Robert Stewart, 45, shot and killed eight people at Pinelake Health and Rehab in Carthage, North Carolina, before a police officer shot him and ended the rampage.
March 29, 2009: Indian techie Devan Kalathat, 42, shot and killed his two children and three other relatives, then killed himself in an upscale neighbourhood of Santa Clara, California. Kalathat’s wife was critically injured.
March 21, 2009: Lovelle Mixon, 26, shot and killed four Oakland, California, police officers after a traffic stop. Mixon was killed in a shootout with SWAT officers.
March 10, 2009: Michael McLendon, 28, killed 10 people - including his mother, four other relatives, and the wife and child of a local sheriff’s deputy - across two rural Alabama counties. He then killed himself.
Feb 14, 2008: Former student Steven Kazmierczak, 27, opened fire in a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University in DeKalb, fatally shooting five students and wounding 18 others before committing suicide.
Dec 5, 2007: Robert A. Hawkins, 19, opened fire with a rifle at a Von Maur store in an Omaha, Nebraska, mall, killing eight people before taking his own life. Five more people were wounded, two critically.
April 16, 2007: Seung-Hui Cho, 23, fatally shot 32 people, including two Indians, in a dorm and a classroom at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg, then killed himself in the deadliest mass shooting in modern US history.
- Mass shootings have claimed hundreds of lives in US - Aug 14, 2012
- Virginia Tech officials warned own kin first about shooting - Dec 05, 2009
- Gunman on rampage in New York kills 13, shoots himself (Lead) - Apr 04, 2009
- Sweet Home Alabama? - Mar 12, 2009
- 'Norwegian gunman plotted to kill Obama' - Apr 02, 2012
- Five killed, one hurt in US shooting spree - Jun 03, 2011
- Seven gunned down at family X-mas party - Dec 26, 2011
- Man shoots woman, kills self at Wal-Mart centre - Feb 23, 2012
- One injured in Northern Illinois University shooting (Update) - Feb 19, 2010
- 255 kills for US military's deadliest sniper - Jan 03, 2012
- Fort Hood gunman emptied apartment before shooting - Nov 07, 2009
- Eight killed in US house fire - Mar 24, 2012
- Norway killer asks court for immediate release - Feb 07, 2012
- Man shot dead after killing son, nephew in US - Aug 24, 2010
- Shooter at Batman premiere: I was 'the Joker' - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: alabama counties, arun kumar, california police officers, carthage north carolina, committing suicide, deadliest mass shooting, deadly shootings, immigration services, kazmierczak, mass shootings, michael mclendon, mixon, msnbc, northern illinois university, rural alabama, santa clara california, seung hui cho, state immigration, swat officers, von maur