Over 6 in 10 Americans don’t want military sent to Libya: PollMarch 18th, 2011 - 1:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Mar 18 (ANI): Regardless of the belief that the United States should always promote democracy, over 6 in 10 Americans don’t want the country’s military to be sent to Libya, according to a Fox News poll.
The poll released Thursday, found that 59 percent of voters think the primary goal of American foreign policy should ‘always be promoting democracy’, while 65 percent are against the U.S. military getting involved in Libya.
Cutting across party lines, seven in ten Democrats (70 percent) and Independents (70 percent) oppose it, as do 59 percent of Republicans.
As per the poll, around 25 percent of the voters in general favor taking military action in Libya.
A vote by the U.N. Security Council on a no-fly zone over Libya has been passed by ten to zero.
Around 43 percent of voters approve of how the Obama administration is dealing with the Libyan situation, while 35 percent of voters disapprove of it. The remaining 21 percent are unsure.
The Fox News poll, which is based on landline and cell phone interviews with 913 randomly chosen registered voters nationwide, has also come out with an opinion that one voter in four thinks the aim of U.S. foreign policy should sometimes be supporting governments that are friendly to the United States, even if it means helping a dictatorship (26 percent). (ANI)
- Gaddafi keener to stay in power than Obama to oust him says Fox News Poll - Apr 07, 2011
- Nearly seven in ten Americans support air strikes against Gaddafi forces - Mar 23, 2011
- 62 percent of Americans oppose military strikes against Gaddafi's forces until no-fly zone fails - Mar 15, 2011
- More Americans want a new president than Obama to be re-elected: Fox News poll - Apr 08, 2011
- Gaddafi regime brands UN resolution on no-fly zone in Libya as 'invalid' - Mar 20, 2011
- India, China, Russia oppose air strikes on Libya (Reaction Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- India 'regrets' coalition airstrikes in Libya - Mar 20, 2011
- Poll says most Aussies prefer Rudd to Gillard - Mar 14, 2011
- UN resolution on Libya too hasty, says Russia - Mar 23, 2011
- Obama's approval ratings hit an all-time low - Apr 02, 2011
- Most Americans approve of Obama's decision to resume military tribunals in Gitmo - Mar 25, 2011
- US will not put ground forces in Libya, says Obama - Mar 26, 2011
- Obama says Libya military mission ordered to prevent a massacre - Mar 29, 2011
- Nearly 5 in 10 Americans think nuke power is safe energy source - Mar 18, 2011
- It will be "unwise" for allied forces to try to kill Gaddafi: Gates - Mar 21, 2011
Tags: aim, american foreign policy, belief that, cell phone, democracy, democrats, dictatorship, fly zone, fox news, governments, independents, landline, libya, military action, news poll, obama, phone interviews, registered voters, republicans, security council