Over 5,000 missing since 2006, says Mexican rights bodyApril 4th, 2011 - 11:45 am ICT by IANS
Mexico City, April 4 (IANS/EFE) A total of 5,397 people have been reported “lost or missing” in Mexico since 2006 and nearly 9,000 have died and not been identified, said the National Human Rights Commission, or CNDH.
The figures come from the National Missing and Unidentified Dead Persons Information System, or SINPEF, which includes figures provided by relatives, the CNDH said.
Of the 5,397 missing people, 3,457 are men, 1,885 are women and the gender of 55 is not known, said the CNDH, Mexico’s equivalent of an ombudsman’s office.
The commission is working at the national level to determine why these people went missing and their whereabouts.
Information provided by judicial officials in Mexico’s 31 states as well as reports from coroners is being used in the search, the CNDH said.
Investigators, moreover, are examining information about 8,898 people who died and have not been identified.
The causes of death in these cases ranged from traffic accidents to illnesses and violence.
The SINPEF has included information about kidnappings since 2009, the CNDH said.
Information about missing migrants is now being added to the SINPEF to assist in locating them, the commission said.
- Mexican rights body probes attack on reporter - May 14, 2012
- Three mn child labourers in Mexico: Rights panel - Apr 28, 2012
- Journalist, two family members murdered in Mexico - Jun 21, 2011
- Reporter murdered in Mexico - Apr 30, 2012
- Six gunned down in Mexican bar - Aug 09, 2012
- 14 bodies found in van in Mexico - Aug 10, 2012
- Missing Mexican journalist found dead - Jun 04, 2011
- 71 Mexican cities dangerous for migrants: Report - Apr 20, 2011
- Mexico raises minimum wage - Dec 12, 2011
- Four slain at festival in Mexico - Jul 27, 2012
- 10 die in attack on Mexican bar - Aug 15, 2012
- Playboy model is the talk of Mexican presidential debate - May 08, 2012
- Remains of missing Mexican politician found in mass grave - Mar 17, 2012
- Mexican journalist kidnapped - Aug 25, 2011
- Eight mechanics shot dead in garage in Mexico - May 19, 2011
Tags: april 4, causes of death, cndh mexico, coroners, dead persons, human rights commission, illnesses, information system, investigators, judicial officials, kidnappings, mexico city, migrants, missing people, national human rights, national human rights commission, ombudsman, relatives, traffic accidents, violence