Over 400 suffer food poisoning in Sri LankaJuly 16th, 2012 - 5:03 pm ICT by IANS
Colombo, July 16 (IANS) Over 400 people were hospitalized in eastern Sri Lanka Monday after suffering from food poisoning.
Police spokesperson Ajith Rohana told Xinhua that the people had attended a function in the eastern town of Batticaloa the previous evening and fell sick after consuming food at the event.
He said that most of those who fell ill were suffering from diarrhoea and they were not in a serious condition.
A spokesperson at the Batticaloa hospital said that around 150 people were admitted to hospital Sunday night, but by Monday more people sought treatment and the figure exceeded 400.
Ajith Rohana said that a police investigation into the incident is currently on.
- Sri Lanka detains 113 on way to Australia - May 28, 2012
- Sri Lankan politician arrested for human smuggling - Jul 25, 2012
- Tamil Tiger held at Sri Lankan airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Sri Lanka records rise in rapes of children - Jul 05, 2012
- Man held in Sri Lanka with cocaine in belly - May 02, 2012
- 300 Chinese kids ill after having school lunch - Apr 10, 2012
- Four fall sick after consuming wild mushrooms in Assam - Apr 27, 2012
- 222 people hit by food poisoning in Delhi (Lead) - Apr 05, 2011
- Sri Lanka fishermen clash with cops over fuel price hike - Feb 15, 2012
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Two monks killed in Sri Lanka - Mar 21, 2012
- Buddhist clergy step out to support Sri Lanka at UNHRC - Mar 19, 2012
- Food poisoning fells 80 sick in China - Jul 10, 2012
- Over 364,000 affected in Sri Lanka floods - Jan 01, 2011
- 28 kids fall ill after eating noodles in China - Mar 04, 2011