Over 40 dead in Iraq violenceAugust 17th, 2012 - 3:37 am ICT by IANS
Baghdad, Aug 17 (IANS) A wave of coordinated bombings and shootings in Iraq Thursday left at least 40 people dead, police said.
Five people died when a car bomb tore through a market in Kut city, some 160 km from Baghdad. About 70 others were wounded, Xinhua reported.
The second attack took place in Meshahda, 30 km from the capital. Gunmen went on a shooting rampage near a check point, killing 10 soldiers and wounding 10 others.
Earlier in the day, at least 29 more were killed in a series of bombings and shootings in the country.
Thursday’s deadly attacks come as Iraqis marked the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
- Seven killed in Iraq violence - Aug 08, 2012
- Five Iraqi soldiers killed in separate attacks - Sep 05, 2012
- 20 killed, 64 wounded in attacks in Baghdad - Feb 23, 2012
- 6 killed, 10 wounded in Iraq attacks - Apr 16, 2012
- Nine killed in Iraq attacks - Apr 19, 2012
- 25 killed, over 170 wounded in Iraq attacks - Mar 20, 2012
- 43 killed, over 190 wounded in Iraq bomb attacks (Lead) - Mar 20, 2012
- 60 dead in attack on Iraqi Shias, bombings (Lead) - Jan 05, 2012
- Nine killed, 21 injured in Iraq - Aug 08, 2011
- Russia condemns Iraq terror attacks - Aug 16, 2011
- 50 killed, hundreds injured in Iraq attacks (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- 52 killed in series of attacks across Iraq - Sep 09, 2012
- Five killed in Iraq violence - May 24, 2012
- Four killed in Iraq attacks - Aug 04, 2011
- 63 killed in Iraq as violence escalates - Aug 15, 2011