Over 33pct Brits troubled by noisy neighboursApril 9th, 2009 - 5:24 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 9 (ANI): Noisy neighbours have made the lives of more than a third of Britons miserable, a new survey has found.
According to the survey by insulation manufacturer Rockwool, loud music and televisions are the biggest causes of disturbance while other irritants for neighbours include parties, children and wooden floors.
The survey revealed that for many people the problem is so severe in some areas that it risks sparking violence.
Householders revealed during the survey that they had already been involved in physical fights with neighbours following complaints about noise.
Rockwool is using the findings to support its calls for better building controls in new-build homes to help to curb the problem.
However, house builders said tough standards were already in place.
“Domestic noise pollution is not just an urban nuisance, the problem of noisy neighbours is rapidly becoming the scourge of suburbia,” the Telegraph quoted Hans Schreuder, the managing director of Rockwool, as saying.
“Living with persistent noise can be very debilitating, increasing stress levels and leaving people feeling like prisoners in their own homes.
“We are calling for greater enforcement by environmental health officers to address the problem of nuisance noise.
“It is important that new buildings are built in accordance with strict building regulations with regard to noise penetration and rigorous testing is conducted to ensure compliance,” Schreuder added. (ANI)
- Rockwool Insulation's Dahej plant inaugurated - May 14, 2011
- Couple sue over noisy wooden floor - Mar 03, 2012
- Noisy neighbours affecting lives of Britons - Apr 26, 2010
- Neighbour nuisance robbing Britons of their peace - Aug 31, 2011
- German law allows kids their right to make noise - Feb 17, 2011
- Mischa Barton sued for not paying rent - Jan 22, 2010
- Cell phone jammers without proper authorization are illegal in US - Mar 06, 2012
- Aga Khan Trust helps restore 16th century tomb - Jul 19, 2011
- Brit couple banned from having sex between 10pm and 7am - Mar 15, 2010
- British woman fined 5,500 pounds for noisy pets - Aug 27, 2012
- Popular toys could damage hearing of children - Dec 19, 2011
- Rock music fan Robert McIndoe takes his own life because of his tinnitus - Nov 18, 2011
- Snoring provokes couples to sleep apart! - Nov 08, 2010
- Fiscal deficit management need of the hour: Pranab - Jan 14, 2012
- Brooke Shields angers neighbours with house renovation - Mar 17, 2010
Tags: britons, brits, environmental health officers, house builders, insulation, irritants, loud music, managing director, new buildings, new survey, noise pollution, noisy neighbours, nuisance, persistent noise, physical fights, prisoners, scourge, stress levels, suburbia, wooden floors