Over 30 militants killed in Chechnya this year

May 20th, 2008 - 8:08 pm ICT by admin  

RIA Novosti
Moscow, May 20 (RIA Novosti) The Russian Joint Group of Forces in the North Caucasus killed 32 militants in Chechnya this year as of April 27, the group’s commander Gen. Nikolai Sivak said Tuesday. “Unfortunately, we did not see a decrease in the number of losses, and this year 17 federal troops were killed as of April 27, against 15 [in the same period] last year,” the group commander added.

Last month, a high-ranking military official with the Russian defence ministry said that a total of 192 militants and armed gang members were killed and more than 700 arrested in anti-terrorist operations in Russia’s North Caucasus in 2007.

Although the active phase of the North Caucasus anti-terrorist campaign officially ended in 2001, periodic bombings and clashes between gunmen and federal troops still disrupt Chechnya and nearby regions, including Daghestan, Ingushetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachayevo-Circassia.
RIA Novosti

Related Stories

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in World |

Subscribe