Over 2,000 killed in Mexican border city in 2010September 2nd, 2010 - 12:14 pm ICT by IANS
Ciudad Juarez (Mexico), Sep 2 (IANS/EFE) Over 2,000 people were killed in gang wars
in 2010 in Mexico’s “murder capital” of Ciudad Juarez on the border with the US, reveal official figures.
A total of 2,027 murders have been committed in 2010 in Ciudad Juarez, located across the border from El Paso, Texas.
August was the most violent month in the border city, with 327 homicides registered by state prosecutors.
A total of 291 murders, or an average of over nine per day, were reported in July. June ranks as the second most violent month of the year, with 313 killings. There were 262 killings in May, 205 in April, 240 in March, 163 in February and 227 in January.
The city gained notoriety in the 1990s when young women began to disappear in the area.
More than 500 women have been killed since 1993. In most of the slayings, the victims were young women from poor families who came to the city to work in assembly plants.
Drug cartels, backed by hitmen from street gangs, have been fighting for control of the border city.
Ciudad Juarez, with 191 homicides per 100,000 residents, was the most violent city in the world in 2009. The death toll for all of 2009 was 7,724.
- 300 women killed in 2010 in Mexican border city - Dec 26, 2010
- Singer shot at during robbery in Mexican city - Feb 23, 2011
- Six mutilated bodies found in Mexico - Sep 12, 2011
- Mexican border city officials seek ban on video game - Feb 24, 2011
- Funeral home attacked with fire bombs in Mexico - Mar 02, 2011
- 5 killed in attack on Mexican bar - Apr 03, 2011
- 5,000 Mexican families flee amid violence - Nov 27, 2010
- Violence leaves 8,500 orphans in Mexican border city - Feb 25, 2011
- 1,000 Mexicans held for involvement in sex trade - Jul 25, 2011
- Mexican judge hands down country's first life sentence - Dec 23, 2010
- Mexican city closes 2,000 streets - Mar 03, 2011
- Mexico sets 60-year prison term for female homicides - Dec 15, 2011
- Mexican psychiatrists seek psychological treatment in US - Sep 29, 2010
- 3 men gunned down at Mexican hospital - Oct 13, 2010
- Extortionists torch school in Mexican border city - Dec 07, 2010
Tags: assembly plants, border city, ciudad juarez mexico, death toll, drug cartels, efe, gang wars, hitmen, homicides, killings, mj, month of the year, murder capital, murders, notoriety, poor families, slayings, state prosecutors, street gangs, violent city