Over 200 missing as ferry sinks in Indonesia (Lead)January 11th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, Jan 11 (DPA) A ferry with some 250 people on board sank in rough waters off the Indonesian province of West Sulawesi early Sunday, leaving more than 200 missing, officials said.Eighteen people were rescued from the sea, including a crew member, who told officials that the ship was engulfed by huge waves before it sank, said Ilham Rachman, an official at the post in West Sulawesi port town of Majene.
“The crew member said the weather was very bad and the seas were rough,” Ilham said.
“We haven’t been able to get much information from them because they are still very weak and traumatized,” he said about the survivors.
A search was underway involving Navy personnel and fisherman had been alerted to help with the rescue effort, he said.
The Teratai Prima ferry left the Sulawesi island harbour Pare-pare harbour Saturday evening en route to Samarinda in the eastern Kalimantan province on the Indonesian portion of Borneo Island, said Suhardi, an official at the Search and Rescue (SAR) agency in Makassar, the capital of South Sulawesi.
Relatives of the passengers gathered at the Samarinda port for news about their loved ones, Metro TV reported.
Search and rescue officials said three of the survivors were picked up by local fishermen in the rough seas.
Port authorities in Pare-pare confirmed that the ill-fated ferry was carrying about 250 people and a crew of 17 when it left.
It was the latest sea disasters in Indonesia, a vast archipelago nation of more than 17,000 islands that depends on ocean transport.
Indonesian passenger ferries and ships generally have poor safety records and also frequently take on more than the permitted number of passengers and cargo.
- Over 200 missing as boat sinks in western Indonesia - Jan 11, 2009
- 33 rescued from capsized Indonesian ferry - Jan 13, 2009
- Death toll in Indonesian ferry accident rises to 27 - Nov 23, 2009
- Toll in Iranian boat tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- Four dead after ferry carrying 240 sinks in Indonesia (Lead) - Nov 22, 2009
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- Man killed by propeller of small plane at Indonesian airport - Oct 16, 2011
- 200 rescued in Papua New Guinea ferry disaster (Second Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Hundreds missing as migrants' boat sinks off Indonesia - Dec 18, 2011
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- 31 missing after speedboat capsizes off Indonesia - Feb 01, 2010
- Indonesian Ferry sinks near Sumatra Islands, 9 killed - Nov 23, 2009
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- Ferry with over 200 people sinks in Indonesia - Nov 22, 2009
- Seven killed in Indonesian ferry fire - Sep 26, 2008