Over 20 mummies found in Egyptian tombFebruary 10th, 2009 - 2:25 pm ICT by IANS
Cairo, Feb 10 (Xinhua) An Egyptian archaeological team has found about two dozen mummies in a tomb dating back to the 3,000-year-old Pharaonic era.
The mummies were unearthed in the tomb which lies to the west of Zoser’s step pyramid in the Saqqara area. It dates back to the 6th dynasty in ancient Egypt, or about 4,300 BC, said the official MENA news agency.
According to MENA, the archaeological team, led by Secretary General of the Egyptian Supreme Council for Antiquities Zahi Hawas, found five holes with each containing four mummies, one of which was of a dog.
They also found some skeletons and a 180-cm-long casket contained the mummy of a man named Badi Harri who lived in 640 BC, Hawas was quoted as saying.
Four more caskets of limestone were also discovered in the tomb.
“The mission will open it this week,” Hawas said, adding the team has been working in the area for more than one year.
According to the Egypt state information service, the Pharaonic era dates back to 3,000 years BC till Alexander conquered Egypt in 323 BC. During the Pharaonic era, Egypt witnessed many periods of progress and renaissance in all fields.
- Egypt opens six ancient tombs to visitors - May 24, 2011
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Archaeologists find 2,600-year-old mummy in Egypt - Feb 12, 2009
- Archaeologists discover huge 2,500-year-old tomb near Cairo - Jan 05, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief discovered in 'City of the Dead' - May 31, 2010
- Egypt discovers 2,000-year-old bronze coins - Apr 23, 2010
- China's earliest wine unearthed in tomb - Jul 06, 2012
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- Ancient city in the Egyptian eastern borders unearthed - Apr 26, 2010
- Egyptian team in Jaipur re-preserves 2300 old mummy - Mar 08, 2011
- 4,000 yrs old brightly painted mummies found in Egypt necropolis - Apr 14, 2009
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
Tags: ancient egypt, antiquities, archaeological team, casket, caskets, dynasty, egypt state information service, egyptian supreme council, egyptian tomb, harri, mummies, mummy, news agency, secretary general, skeletons, state information service, step pyramid, xinhua, zahi hawas, zoser