Over 126,000 crimes against children reported in RussiaJanuary 28th, 2009 - 11:09 am ICT by IANS
Moscow, Jan 28 (RIA Novosti) Over 126,000 crimes against children were registered in Russia in 2008, the head of Russia’s Investigation Committee has said.”The trend (of increasing crimes against children) is alarming,” Alexander Bastrykin said. “In 2008, some 2,330 children have suffered serious injuries in the attacks, 12,500 children were listed as missing.”
The official earlier said that almost 50 percent of all sexual crimes in Russia were committed against children and every third victim of rape was a minor. A total of 784 sexual assaults on children were registered in the first nine months of 2008.
According to Investigation Committee statistics, over 300 million websites with child pornography content are currently accessible on the internet.
“According to the Russian interior ministry, the quantity of child pornography sites has almost tripled in recent years, and the amount of child pornographic content has increased 25-fold,” the committee said in a press release. “Average traffic of one such website is around 30,000 people per month.”
Bastrykin also said his agency would ask Russia’s Supreme Court to review the legality of releasing pedophiles on parole, a widespread practice in Russia.
“Release on parole cannot be applied to such people, they must not be released (even) for model conduct,” he said.
A law toughening punishment for crimes against minors has recently been submitted to the lower house of Russia’s parliament, the State Duma.
- Russia's chief investigator dismisses fraud charges - Jul 28, 2012
- Russian lower house passes paedophile castration bill - Feb 08, 2012
- Russian parliament approves internet blacklist bill - Jul 12, 2012
- Maximum internet child porns made in US, Russia: Official - Mar 22, 2010
- Russian parliament approves chemical castration for paedophiles - Feb 23, 2012
- Child porn suspect arrested in Russia - Apr 06, 2010
- Oz teenagers who engage in 'sexting' could land in jail - Mar 09, 2010
- Oz teacher jailed for secretly filming pupils undressing - Aug 09, 2010
- UAE to create national register of sex offenders - Oct 02, 2010
- Wikipedia becomes home base for paedophiles - Jun 27, 2010
- Rajya Sabha passes bill on sexual offences against kids - May 11, 2012
- 55 Chinese websites asked to delete porn contents - Jun 10, 2010
- Former Orange County, FL investigator sentenced for child pornography - Jan 16, 2010
- China shuts down 60,000 porn sites in 2010 - Dec 31, 2010
- Croatian priests held for acquiring child porn - Oct 22, 2011
Tags: alexander, child pornography, crimes against children, crimes against minors, first nine months, investigation committee, jan 28, parliament, pedophiles, pornographic content, pornography sites, Press Release, punishment for crimes, rape, ria novosti, russia moscow, russian interior ministry, sexual assaults, sexual crimes, state duma