Over 100 Mexican immigration agency employees sackedOctober 16th, 2011 - 1:11 pm ICT by IANS
Mexico City, Oct 16 (IANS/EFE) Mexico’s migration agency said it has fired 121 officials for failing to adhere to the principles of “legality, honour, fairness, impartiality and efficiency”.
Battered by scandals, the agency, INM, recently embarked on a housecleaning aimed at ferreting out corrupt, abusive and incompetent agents and supervisors.
The dismissals affected personnel at regional offices in the capital and in the states of Chiapas, Tabasco, Quintana Roo, Sonora, Tamaulipas and Veracruz, the INM said.
All of the positions left vacant by the purge will be quickly filled, the agency said.
The INM’s Friday announcement came the same day that President Felipe Calderon met with leaders of groups devoted to protecting the rights of Mexican and Central American migrants.
“Of course we have defended migrants, of course we are cleaning up the INM, we have put immigration officials in prison,” the president told the activists.
An estimated 150,000 undocumented Central Americans a year cross Mexico with hopes of slipping across the border into the US.
The harsh journey is made more dangerous by predatory Mexican immigration officials and drug-cartel gunmen.
Mexico’s independent National Human Rights Commission said that at least 11,333 migrants were kidnapped during the period April-September 2010.
- Indian-origin man teaches yoga to Mexican migrants - Oct 01, 2011
- 78 migrants hidden in trailer intercepted in Mexico - Apr 13, 2011
- 89 illegal migrants found in truck - Mar 31, 2011
- 219 migrants rescued from truck in Mexico - Jan 28, 2011
- 13 bodies found in Mexico mass graves - Apr 09, 2011
- Accused of rape, Mexican singer held in US - Jan 22, 2011
- Journalist kidnapped in Mexico - May 19, 2012
- Six bodies found in Mexico - Feb 19, 2011
- Hundreds evacuated after tropical storm hits Mexico - Sep 16, 2010
- 11 killed in Mexico violence - Nov 13, 2010
- Disappearance of teen Mexican reporter being probed - Sep 24, 2011
- Six killed, dumped on road in Mexico - Nov 03, 2010
- US had 11.5 mn undocumented immigrants in 2011 - Mar 26, 2012
- Mexican singer appears in court to answer rape charges - Jan 24, 2011
- Police chief, 2 bodyguards killed in Mexico - Apr 17, 2011
Tags: drug cartel, efe, fairness, gunmen, housecleaning, human rights commission, immigration agency, immigration officials, impartiality, mexican immigration, mexico city, migrants, migration agency, national human rights commission, purge, quintana roo, regional offices, scandals, tabasco, tamaulipas