Outrage over ‘EastEnders’ Qur’an incidentJuly 22nd, 2010 - 4:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 22(ANI): Hundreds of angry viewers have complained to the BBC over a scene in ‘EastEnders’, where a Muslim character slams down a copy of the Qur’an on a table.
According to reports, the BBC has taken several hundred calls and emails over the scene screened earlier this week.
In the episode, gay character Syed Masood (played by Marc Elliott) was seen to drop the religious text in frustration.
EastEnders chiefs have defended the controversial scene, saying that they had not intended to cause offence, but to demonstrate Syed’s “utter confusion”.
“Desperate not to lose his family, Syed is trying to suppress his homosexuality. He has vowed to read and learn from the Qur’an in an attempt to re-connect with his Muslim faith, hoping it will help him in his quest,” The Sun quoted a BBC statement, as saying.
“Feeling unable to reconcile his feelings for another man with his religious beliefs, Syed slams down the Qur’an in frustration.”
“It was not intended to be a disrespectful act, rather a totally spontaneous one, symbolic of Syed’s utter confusion and frustration at what feels like an impossible situation. It wasn’t our intention to cause any offence,” it added. (ANI)
- EastEnders fans complain of sea-sickness after watching camera wobbling scene - Jul 19, 2011
- EastEnders scoops six gongs at Inside Soap Awards - Sep 28, 2010
- 'EastEnders' to feature gay Muslim story - May 29, 2009
- Pak court finally releases mentally-ill 'blasphemer' jailed for 14 years without trial - Jul 24, 2010
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- Pak Interior Minister is an India, US agent: Jamaat chief - Mar 28, 2011
- Birmingham girl arrested for allegedly burning Qur'an - Nov 26, 2010
- EastEnders to show B&B fire - Sep 21, 2011
- Nick Berry is returning to EastEnders - Sep 12, 2011
- Florida Church's Plan To Burn Qur'an Condemned By Secretary Of State Hillary Clinton - Sep 08, 2010
- Muslims object to violation of Ramadan rules on Brit TV show Eastenders - Oct 03, 2008
- Condemnation of planned Qur'an burning in Florida grows - Sep 08, 2010
- Former EastEnders star slams current Asian family on show - Jul 21, 2009
- Islam doesn't allow killing of mankind: Pakistani scholar - Feb 29, 2012
- Shane Richie is all set to be a father again - Apr 04, 2011
Tags: bbc, chiefs, controversial scene, eastenders, feelings, frustration, gay character, homosexuality, impossible situation, intention, london, muslim faith, offence, outrage, religious beliefs, religious text, slams, sun, utter confusion