Outrage over Brit Islamist leader’s call on Oz Muslims to ’shun haram democracy’July 5th, 2010 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, July 5(ANI): Australian Protectionist Party (APP) activists have protested against British Hizb ut-Tahrir (HT) leader Burhan Hanif’s advice to Aussie Muslims to spurn secular democracy and join the struggle for a transnational Islamic state.
Sydney organizer for the APP, Nick Folkes, said that the HT should be banned in Australia and thinks that practicing sharia law should be illegal in the country.
“Sharia law is an archaic legal system that treats woman as second-class citizens,” The News.com.au quoted Folkes, as saying.
“We’re not asking them to change their skin colour or religion, but if they come here, they must reject sharia law,” he added.
Earlier, Hanif had said that democracy is “haram” for Muslims, and insisted that their political involvement could not be based on “secular and erroneous concepts such as democracy and freedom”.
“We must adhere to Islam and Islam alone. We should not be conned or succumb to the disingenuous and flawed narrative that the only way to engage politically is through the secular democratic process. It is prohibited and haram,” Hanif had said.
He further said that democracy was incompatible with Islam because the Koran insisted Allah was the sole lawmaker.
His views were echoed by Australian HT leader Wassim Dourehi, who said that Muslims should not support “any kafir (non-believer) political party”.
“We need to reject this new secular version of Islam. It is a perverted concoction of Western governments. It is a perversion that seeks to wipe away the political aspects of Islam and localise our concerns,” Dourehi said.
“We must reject it and challenge the proponents of this aberration of Islam,” he added. (ANI)
- Oz Muslims condemn moves to ban burka in country - Sep 20, 2010
- Egypt presidential hopeful wants Sharia law-based constitution - May 14, 2012
- Islamists trying to build parallel society in Canada: Report - Nov 16, 2010
- Oz Liberal party divided over Bernardi's "Islam is problem, not Muslims" claims - Feb 20, 2011
- `Brigadier arrested: Soul-searching time for Pakistan Army' - Jun 23, 2011
- 'Stoning will happen in Britain too if sharia allowed' - Mar 21, 2012
- 25 killed in Nigeria church blast - Dec 26, 2011
- New president in Egypt: Implications for political Islam (Comment) - Jul 03, 2012
- Expel three Christian priests: Kashmir Sharia court - Jan 19, 2012
- Islamic Sharia law zones set up across Britain - Jul 28, 2011
- Nigeria terror attack toll rises to 162 - Jan 22, 2012
- U.S. warns of terrorist attacks in Nigerian capital - Nov 07, 2011
- Karnataka mess: Majesty of law no match for politics (Letter from Bangalore) - May 18, 2011
- Thousands flee after clashes between Nigerian security forces and militants - Dec 29, 2011
- Radical Islamist sect claims responsibility for Nigeria church attacks - Dec 29, 2010
Tags: aberration, aspects of islam, aussie muslims, class citizens, concoction, folkes, hizb ut, islamic state, islamist, koran, lawmaker, outrage, perversion, political aspects, political involvement, proponents, secular democracy, secular version, skin colour, western governments