Osama’s Sudanese cook to walk free in 2012 after sentence reduced to two yearsFebruary 10th, 2011 - 1:38 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Feb 10(ANI): A US military commission has reduced Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden’s former cook and driver Ibrahim al-Qosi’s sentence to two years in prison.
Al-Qosi, a native of Sudan, who worked for bin Laden for years before the September 11, 2001 terror attacks, had earlier pleaded guilty to conspiracy and material support for terrorism as part of a pre-trial agreement.
The 50-year-old, who was detained in Afghanistan in 2001 and is now at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, was sentenced last August to 14 years in prison.
According to the BBC, an adviser to the military commission that tried him said that Qosi had complied with unspecified terms of a plea deal.
Qosi can now expect to be released in July 2012.
In a guilty plea before a US military commission at the US Navy base at Guantanamo Bay in July, Qosi had admitted running a kitchen in Bin Laden’s compound while being aware that Al-Qaeda was a terrorist organisation.
He had also admitted working as Bin Laden’s bodyguard and helping him avoid capture by US forces. (ANI)
- Osama's Sudanese cook sentenced to 14 years in prison - Aug 12, 2010
- US military judge seals sentence of bin Laden's former cook - Aug 10, 2010
- Osama's ex-cook pleads guilty for supporting terrorism - Jul 08, 2010
- Osama bin Laden's cook sent to 14 years in prison - Aug 12, 2010
- Bin Laden's driver pleads guilty at Guantanamo - Jul 08, 2010
- Ex-Guantanamo inmate says Assange will never receive a fair trial in US - Dec 15, 2010
- Youngest Guantanamo Bay inmate Omar Khadr to serve only 8 of his 40-yr sentence - Nov 01, 2010
- 9/11 Pakistani mastermind, 4 others sent for trial - Apr 05, 2012
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Pakistani-American pleads guilty to terror charges - Mar 01, 2012
- 'Bin Laden death won't stop war': Ex Guantanamo Bay detainee Habib - May 02, 2011
- Child soldier pleads guilty to killing US medic in Afghanistan - Oct 26, 2010
- Rumsfeld: Death of Bin Laden a victory in the fight against Islamist terrorism - May 04, 2011
- Literature of terror: Books Osama spawned - May 02, 2011
- Mexican drug lord will meet Osama's fate: US - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,