Osama’s death not a big loss for Al Qaeda: Iraqi expertMay 2nd, 2011 - 9:03 pm ICT by IANS
Baghdad, May 2 (IANS) Even as Osama bin Laden’s death is a victory for the US, it’s not necessarily a big loss for Al Qaeda in the world, an Iraqi expert said Monday.
“The tough blow that Al Qaeda received by the killing of bin Laden would certainly push them to revenge,” Xinhua quoted Nadhim al-Jubouri, an expert of Al Qaeda affairs as saying.
“Bin Laden’s death is just like closing a chapter of a US book that lasted around 10 years to search for him,” he said.
“Bin Laden has died, but Al Qaeda did not die, because bin Laden is an ideological leader and was almost absent from scene, unlike Al Qaeda number two Ayman al-Zawahiri who always shows himself more than bin Laden,” he said.
“Al Qaeda is not depending on individuals, and we have seen in Iraq the organisation is still on the ground despite the killing of many of its leaders. Al Qaeda today is not that organisation set up by bin Laden. It has branches in Yemen, Morocco, Iraq and others,” al-Jubouri said.
Iraqi government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh has said Bin Laden’s death will have no significant impact on the security situation in Iraq, as the country has already been in fierce fighting against Al Qaeda for years.
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Second Lead) - Jun 16, 2011
- Al-Zawahiri appointed new Al Qaeda leader (Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 16, 2011
- Osama Bin Laden still alive, in touch with al-Qaeda, claims al- Zawahiri - Feb 26, 2011
- US doubts Al Qaeda leader Zawahiri has fled Pakistan - Sep 15, 2011
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Second Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 02, 2011
- Al Qaeda chief wants '9/11' of his own - Sep 10, 2011
- Iraq hangs 12 Al Qaeda men for wedding massacre - Nov 25, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq - May 25, 2010
- Zawahiri praises Al Qaeda leaders killed in Iraq (Lead) - May 25, 2010
- Iraq to help Libya in chemical weapons' disposal - Apr 13, 2012
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video - Jun 09, 2011
- Zawahiri praises Osama on new video (Lead) - Jun 09, 2011
- Despite split reports, al-Zawahiri could be new Al Qaeda boss - May 07, 2011
Tags: 10 years, al qaeda, ali, ayman al zawahiri, baghdad, dabbagh, fierce fighting, iraqi government spokesman, morocco, osama bin laden, revenge, security situation, significant impact, situation in iraq, victory, xinhua