Osama sought to kill Obama: Report (Lead)March 17th, 2012 - 11:02 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 17 (IANS/EFE) Osama bin Laden was focused on a plan to assassinate President Barack Obama, the Washington Post said Friday, citing documents seized by the US military team that killed the Al Qaeda leader in May 2011.
Bin Laden’s idea called for shooting down the aircraft of the president and of Gen. David Petraeus, who from July 2010 to July 2011 was commander of US forces in Afghanistan.
The Al Qaeda chief explained the focus on Obama and Petraeus in a message to his senior lieutenant.
“Obama is the head of infidelity and killing him automatically will make (Vice President Joe) Biden take over the presidency … Biden is totally unprepared for that post, which will lead the US into a crisis. As for Petraeus, he is the man of the hour … and killing him would alter the war’s path” in Afghanistan, Bin Laden wrote.
US officials told the Post that the plan to kill Obama and Petraeus was never a serious threat, as Al Qaeda lacks the capacity to carry out such attacks.
Bin Laden told deputy Atiyah Abd al-Rahman that Pakistani terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri should take charge of the Obama-Petraeus assassination project.
Kashmiri was killed in a US drone strike a month after Osama’s death.
The Al Qaeda leader urged his followers to concentrate on organising attacks in the US instead of spilling “Muslim blood” in operations in the Middle East and South Asia.
The documents taken from Osama’s compound in Pakistan will soon be released to the public in both the original Arabic and English translation, the Washington Post said.
- Osama wanted to kill Obama to create chaos: Washington Post (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Osama ordered suicide squads against Obama, Nato commander - May 04, 2012
- Osama plotted to kill Obama : reports - Mar 17, 2012
- Osama plotted attack on 10th anniversary of 9/11 - Jul 15, 2011
- No 9/11 accused has gone to the gallows - Sep 10, 2011
- Spaniard to sue FBI for using his image in Osama poster - Oct 12, 2011
- Osama was communicating with other terrorists: US - May 12, 2011
- Obama congratulates team that killed Osama - May 07, 2011
- When Pakistan denied Osama was in Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- Anti-terror ops with Pakistan not always smooth, says US - Aug 30, 2011
- Capturing bin Laden still priority: Petraeus - Aug 16, 2010
- Osama was unarmed, says White House - May 04, 2011
- Osama thought of changing Al Qaeda's name - May 01, 2012
- Al Qaeda confirms Osama's death - May 06, 2011
- US to release Osama files - May 01, 2012
Tags: abd al rahman, al qaeda, atiyah, barack obama, david petraeus, drone, followers, gen david petraeus, infidelity, joe biden, kashmiri, lieutenant, man of the hour, march 17, military team, osama bin laden, president joe, qaeda leader, South Asia, washington post