Osama plotted to kill Obama : reportsMarch 17th, 2012 - 9:33 am ICT by IANS
Washington, March 17 (IANS) Before being killed Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden had ordered for organising special cells in Afghanistan and Pakistan to attack the aircraft of US President Barack Obama and General David Petraeus, the US media reported Friday.
Petraeus had commanded the US forces in Afghanistan at the time.
The plot was discovered in documents taken from Osama’s compound by US forces May 2, 2011, the night he was killed by US special forces, Xinhua quoted The Washington Post citing administrative officials as saying.
They also said the plot was never a serious threat, it added.
The man Osama had picked to carry out the attacks was Pakistani terrorist Ilyas Kashmiri who was killed in a US drone attack a month after the former’s death.
However, the Washington Post said the plot “was probably bluster,” since Al-Qaeda apparently lacked the weapons to shoot down US aircraft, and US analysts don’t see evidence that these plots have materialised.
- Osama sought to kill Obama: Report (Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Osama wanted to kill Obama to create chaos: Washington Post (Second Lead) - Mar 17, 2012
- Al-Qaeda holding US aid worker hostage in Pakistan - Dec 02, 2011
- Osama ordered suicide squads against Obama, Nato commander - May 04, 2012
- Bin Laden says America 'will not dream of security' until Palestine has security - May 09, 2011
- New stealth drones flew into Pakistan to see Osama house - May 18, 2011
- Al-Qaeda says it is holding US hostage (Lead) - Dec 02, 2011
- US attempt to 'assassinate' Osama bin Laden thwarted: Al-Qaeda - Feb 10, 2011
- Al-Qaeda affiliates will still pose threats: US experts - May 02, 2011
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- David Letterman getting death threats - Aug 19, 2011
- Senior al-Qaeda member put 'jihad over sex' by taking "impotence" injections - Apr 27, 2011
- Ilyas Kashmiri killed in US drone strike, HuJi confirms death - Jun 04, 2011
- Al Qaeda determined to make 'new history': report - Apr 30, 2012
- al-Qaeda leadership confirms Bin Laden is dead, says it will release audio recording - May 06, 2011
Tags: administrative officials, afghanistan, al qaeda, barack obama, bluster, cells, david petraeus, drone, general david petraeus, kashmiri, march 17, osama bin laden, pakistan, special forces, washington post, weapons, xinhua