Osama bin Laden was located in Pak’s Abbottabad city: 2008 US studyMay 4th, 2011 - 12:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 4(ANI): A study conducted by a US university in 2008 reveals that there was a high probability Al-Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden staying in Pakistan’s Abbottabad city.
According to the BBC, the model employed in the study, which is typically used to track endangered species, said there was a 88.9 percent chance bin Laden was in Abbottabad.
However, the same study gave a 95 percent chance he was in another town, Parachinar -about 300 kilometres from Abbottabad.
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) geographer Thomas Gillespie had conducted the study with undergraduate geography students as an exercise in 2008 and submitted its findings to the MIT International Review in 2009.
The report also suggested that bin Laden was probably residing in a city compound, rather than in a cave in a rural environment, because people in less densely populated regions would be more likely to take the time to notice him.
It also found that the compound would have security, such as high walls around its perimeter, and an electricity supply, both of which were found at the site of bin Laden’s one million dollar mansion in Abbottabad. (ANI)
- Osama lived in $1 mn mansion - May 02, 2011
- Someone in Pakistan knew about bin Laden's hideout: Panetta - Jan 28, 2012
- When Pakistan denied Osama was in Pakistan - May 02, 2011
- US prepared for Osama with model having minutest detail - May 17, 2012
- FBI is processing Osama-in-Pakistan hypothesis - Feb 22, 2009
- US Special Troops kill Osama Bin Laden in Attotabad - May 02, 2011
- Pak highlights 'significant role' in counter-terrorism efforts - May 02, 2011
- Pakistan provided information on Osama courier, claims governor - May 05, 2011
- Raid to kill Osama near Islamabad doesn't bode well for Pak: US official - May 02, 2011
- Osama bin Laden had banned 'haram' smoking in Pak compound - May 05, 2011
- Obama's approval ratings up after Osama bin Laden's death: Polls - May 04, 2011
- Anti-India Hizbul sheltered Osama in its compound: Report - May 04, 2011
- Bin Laden says America 'will not dream of security' until Palestine has security - May 09, 2011
- Did Osama hide terror codes in Bible? - Feb 29, 2012
- Did Bali bomber Patek's arrest help US reach Osama? - May 05, 2011
Tags: abbottabad, al qaeda, bbc, california los angeles, electricity supply, endangered species, exercise, geographer, kilometres, one million, osama bin laden, pakistan, parachinar, perimeter, probability, thomas gillespie, ucla, undergraduate geography students, university of california, university of california los angeles