Orissa tribal jailed for keeping a bear cubJune 25th, 2008 - 10:28 pm ICT by ANI
By Sarada Lahangir
Bhubaneshwar, June 25 (ANI): A tribal man in the Rutsila hamlet of Orissas Keonjhar District was arrested by wildlife officials for keeping a bear cub at his hut.
Ram Singh Munda was charged with violating the Wildlife Protection Act.
Mundas family, however, claimed that he had found the bear in a forest in poor health about a year-and-a-half ago. He brought the ailing cub home and started taking care of it.
After recovering, the cub refused to go to the jungle several times, preferring to stay at the Munda home.
Ram Singh and his family developed an attachment to the cub. Now, the familys shocked to find him jailed for actually saving it from dying.
Forest department officials, while admitting that the cub Rani was not caged or chained by Munda, alleged that he was still in violation of the wildlife law.
We have rescued the bear and sent it to the Nadankanan Zoo,” said Vishnucharan Behra, the Forest Ranger of Keonjhar District.
Orissa Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik had some sympathetic words for the family, when he said: “Well, I understand that this matter is being examined, and as I said before, the district administration of Keojhar is looking after the needs of his (Ram Singh Munda’s) daughter.”
Ram Singh is currently out on bail. (ANI)
- Three Maoists arrested in Orissa - Feb 25, 2010
- Two Maoists surrender - Feb 11, 2010
- Leopard cub found dead in Uttar Pradesh - Feb 13, 2011
- Three elephants electrocuted in Orissa - Aug 01, 2010
- Jumbos stray in Orissa villages, create panic - Jan 16, 2010
- Tigress, cubs kill, eat farmer in Yavatmal (With Image) - Jan 10, 2012
- Tiger cub spotted in Sariska - Aug 08, 2012
- Three tiger cubs spotted in Ranthambore - Jun 29, 2012
- Two tiger cubs spotted at Ranthambore National Park - Apr 25, 2011
- Orissa tribal women complain of poor support after husbands demise - Oct 28, 2010
- Five men posing as Maoists held for extortion - Dec 27, 2010
- Four Maoists surrender in Odisha - May 25, 2012
- Three Maoists arrested, one surrenders (Lead) - Mar 09, 2010
- Two Maoists killed in Orissa encounter - Jan 12, 2011
- Four Maoists arrested in Orissa - Sep 01, 2010
Tags: bear cub, chief minister, department officials, district administration, familys, forest department, forest ranger, hamlet, jungle, munda, naveen patnaik, orissa, poor health, ram singh, several times, tribal man, wildlife law, wildlife officials, wildlife protection act, zoo