Organization of the Islamic Conference backs separate KosovoFebruary 19th, 2008 - 6:54 pm ICT by admin
Riyadh, Feb 19 (DPA) The Jeddah-based Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) declared its support for Kosovo’s independence, viewing the move as an asset to the Muslim world, reports here said Tuesday. “As we rejoice in this happy result, we declare our solidarity with and support for our brothers and sisters there,” said Ekmeleddin Ihsangoglu, OIC Scretary General, according to a statement issued by the organization.
He added that the Islamic community hopes that Kosovo would successfully build a strong state capable of satisfying its people.
“There is no doubt that the independence of Kosovo will be an asset to the Muslim world and further enhance the joint Islamic action,” Ihsangoglu said during a speech at a meeting for senior officials Monday.
As the 57 Islamic states, members of the organization of the Islamic conference, endorsed the declaration, the recognition of Kosovo is left up to each member state.
Kosovo declared independence Sunday after the province has been under UN control and NATO protection since 1999.
Kosovo is the sixth state carved from the Serb-dominated federation since 1991, after Slovenia, Croatia, Macedonia, Bosnia and Montenegro. Tens of thousands of people were killed in ethnic fighting during the break-up of Yugoslavia during the 1990s.
The OIC aims at protecting the interests of the Muslim world, and is considered to be the second largest inter-governmental organization after the UN.
- Yugoslavia's last PM is dead - Nov 28, 2011
- Gilani seeks constant OIC support on Kashmir issue - Jan 12, 2011
- Avoid civilian casualties in Libya: OIC - Mar 24, 2011
- UAE reiterates support to Myanmar Muslims - Jul 14, 2012
- Saudi Islamic summit to discuss Myanmar violence - Aug 12, 2012
- OIC condemns Delhi blast - Sep 08, 2011
- India terms OIC's Kashmir description 'most regrettable' - Jun 22, 2011
- Muslim states vow one billion dollar aid to flood-hit Pakistan - Aug 30, 2010
- Islamic Conference to meet in Pakistan on relief effort - Aug 25, 2010
- Kosovans' mass grave found in Macedonia - Jun 16, 2010
- India rejects OIC resolution on Kashmir - Jul 01, 2011
- US can work with Muslims, Obama tells OIC - Feb 02, 2009
- Bill Clinton' gaffe: Mixes up Montenegro and Macedonia - May 24, 2011
- Serbian president heads to UN after Kosovo independence claim - Feb 18, 2008
- EU approves visa-free travel for Albanians and Bosnians - Nov 08, 2010
Tags: 1990s, based organization, break up of yugoslavia, brothers and sisters, dpa, governmental organization, islamic community, islamic states, kosovo, member state, montenegro, muslim world, nato, no doubt, organization of the islamic conference, riyadh, scretary, senior officials, solidarity, tens of thousands