Ordaining women priests is a ‘crime against faith’: VaticanJuly 16th, 2010 - 1:18 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 16 (ANI): New rules announced by the Vatican have declared that ordaining women as Roman Catholic priests is a “crime against the faith” and subject to discipline by its watchdog. The Telegraph quoted Federico Lombardi, the Vatican spokesman, as saying that the new rules put attempts at ordaining women among the “most serious crimes” alongside paedophilia and will be handled by investigators from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (CDF), considered the successor to the Inquisition.
The unexpected ruling follows Pope Benedict XVI’s open-armed welcome to Anglican clergy dissatisfied with General Synod attempts to compromise over calls for the ordination of women as bishops.
Under current plans the first women bishops could be ordained in the Anglican Church as soon as 2014, a move which has caused a deep schism between reformers and traditionalists, who threaten to leave the Church of England in droves and defect to Rome.
However, within the Roman Catholic Church itself, there have been growing calls to allow women to become priests in the wake of the widespread paedophilia scandal.
But the Vatican has made its stance clear on by comparing such actions to child abuse crimes and issuing new rules for investigating both by the same disciplinary body. (ANI)
- Vatican tightens laws on sex abuse and other crimes - Jul 16, 2010
- Church of England branded 'fascist' and 'vindictive' - Oct 17, 2010
- Catholics in Kerala elated as Alencherry ordained cardinal - Feb 18, 2012
- Vatican: Ordaining women priests is a grave crime - Jul 18, 2010
- You can't confess your sins via iPhone, Vatican tells Catholics - Feb 10, 2011
- Sex abuse scandal overshadows Pope's British trip - Sep 14, 2010
- Syro-Malabar Church leader elevated to Cardinal - Jan 06, 2012
- Sex abuse victims meet Vatican spokesman - Nov 02, 2010
- Hindu statesman Zed urges Church of England to go forward with ordaining women bishops - Jul 09, 2010
- Hailing altar girls outnumbering boys, Hindus urge Vatican to be more kind to Catholic women - Aug 10, 2010
- Hindu statesman Zed urges Church of England to approve women bishops - Nov 28, 2010
- Vatican says women priests, sexual abuse of minors not equal crimes - Jul 17, 2010
- Synod rejects concession on women bishops in England - Jul 11, 2010
- Vatican praised bishop who shielded paedophile priest from police - Apr 16, 2010
- 4,000 cases of Catholic priests abusing kids probed - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: anglican church, anglican clergy, benedict xvi, congregation for the doctrine of the faith, disciplinary body, droves, federico lombardi, first women, general synod, ordination of women, paedophilia, pope benedict, pope benedict xvi, roman catholic church, roman catholic priests, schism, serious crimes, traditionalists, vatican spokesman, women priests