Oprah makes way for Obama in sparking reading frenzyMay 31st, 2009 - 12:23 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, May 31 (ANI): Oprah Winfrey may have a strong influence in the literary world, but the spot seems to have been taken over by Barack Obama, for when the US President revealed that he was reading “Netherland”, the novel began flying off the shelves.
Sales of the critically acclaimed novel by Joseph O’Neill shot by 40 per cent, and more than 95,000 copies had been sold till last week.
Russell Perreault, vice president and director of publicity at Vintage Books, the novel’s publisher, revealed the sky rocketing popularity of the book after Obama’s revelation had deterred the paperback’s release.
“It was getting so much attention and we were in such demand that we decided to move up the release of the paperback by a month. It’s been fantastic,” the Politico quoted Perreault as saying.
A similar boost was witnessed when Obama suggested he was forming his Cabinet on Abraham Lincoln’s “Team of Rivals,” and Doris Kearns Goodwin’s book by the same name caught fire, three years after it was published.
Howard Yoon, a literary agent with Gail Ross said: “There’s Oprah and now Obama. Those are the two titans. But it’s more than just influence. It’s also respect and trust.
“Here you have a sitting president who’s not only trained as a legal scholar but also a New York Times best-selling author. His credibility and trust is extraordinarily high when it comes to book recommendations.” (ANI)
- Sally Field to play Abraham Lincoln's wife in Spielberg's upcoming film - Apr 15, 2011
- Daniel Day-Lewis to play Abraham Lincoln in Spielberg film - Nov 20, 2010
- Obama, Winfrey among guests invited for Chelsea Clinton's wedding - Jul 14, 2010
- Obama not invited to Chelsea Clinton's wedding (Lead) - Jul 29, 2010
- What Obama read as he went on to become US president - Jan 19, 2009
- Is e-reader sounding paperback's death knell? - Apr 13, 2012
- Oprah adds Charles Dickens classics to her book club - Dec 07, 2010
- Abraham Lincoln's 200th Birthday - Feb 11, 2009
- Latest in Obama's reading list: novel on 9/11, cricket - May 03, 2009
- Indian literary scene saw fests, awards, strong publishing (2010 in Retrospect) - Dec 24, 2010
- Obamas' to head for Martha's Vineyard for summer vacation - Jul 06, 2009
- 75 years of the penguin that revolutionised publishing - Aug 26, 2010
- "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" trailer released - Feb 14, 2012
- Billy Ray Cyrus Roped In To Host Military Homecoming Series - Nov 06, 2010
- Centenary celebrations galore at World Book Fair (Curtain Rasier) - Feb 23, 2012
Tags: abraham lincoln, barack obama, book recommendations, credibility, doris kearns goodwin, gail ross, legal scholar, literary agent, new york times, o neill, oprah winfrey, perreault, publicity, reading frenzy, revelation, rivals, shelves, titans, vintage books, york times best selling author