Only three percent of British Muslims are imamsFebruary 24th, 2009 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 24 (ANI): The United Kingdoms mosques are out of touch with British Muslims it seems, with only three percent of preachers being home grown.
They also have failed to root out extremism, a think tank has claimed.
The Quilliam Foundation, a group that opposes radical Islam, quotes a study saying that 97 percent of imams were born abroad.
The study comes the day after a Charity Commission study found mosques provided a range of community activities.
Critics claim the number of foreign imams makes it easier for extremists to win over impressionable young British Muslims.
Nearly half the 512 mosques quizzed by the Quilliam Foundation think-tank do not hold lectures before Friday prayers in English, The Sun reported.
It is claimed this makes it difficult for young British-born Muslims to get guidance from their local mosque.
About half of mosques have no facilities for women.
Quilliam Foundation director Maajid Nawaz said the survey was deeply disturbing. (ANI)
- UK''s foreign imams leaving young Muslims at the mercy of extremists - Feb 25, 2009
- UK Govt. doles out a million pounds to anti-extremist think tank - Jan 20, 2009
- Scottish Islamic Foundation accused of sharing 'ideology of terrorists' - Aug 09, 2010
- UK Islamic hate preacher Choudary to be given Channel 4 slot - Nov 28, 2010
- This Hyderabad mosque is more than a place of worship - Aug 12, 2012
- Two out of three new jobs taken by foreigners in Britain last year - Jan 19, 2011
- Canadian Muslim woman to lead mixed-gender prayers in London (Lead) - Jun 10, 2010
- Muslim woman invited to lead mixed-gender prayers - Jun 10, 2010
- 'British unemployed don't have work ethic' - Jul 05, 2011
- Uttar Pradesh mosques double up as primary schools (With Image) - Feb 07, 2012
- British Imam retracts views on Darwin's theory of evolution - Mar 08, 2011
- Hate cleric warns of attack after life sentence - Nov 13, 2010
- Gaza conflict could spark violent Islamic backlash in Britain - Jan 09, 2009
- Childbirths outside wedlock in Britain at its highest in 200 years - Apr 19, 2011
- Muslim preacher arrested over assault on children at mosque in England - Feb 16, 2011