Only original pics of JFK’s assassination up for auction at Christie’sNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:34 am ICT by admin
It is believed to be the first time that these photographs have appeared on the international auction market.
Zapruder was among thousands of people who had gathered in Dallas on 22 November 1963 to watch the presidential motorcade as the Kennedys travelled through the city in an open-top limousine.
He captured the moment when Lee Harvey Oswald fired a series of bullets into the late president’s car in his 8mm movie camera, which was set on “telephoto”.
The 26-second footage captured by him was the only clear film from the crowd that showed Kennedy being shot. It served as vital evidence in the official inquiry into Kennedy’s assassination.
The images became iconic after Life magazine published them.
It was the Associated Press agency that took out still images from the footage, and distributed them across the media at the time.
One of the pictures shows Jackie Kennedy climbing into the back seat of the presidential limousine in a desperate attempt to avoid the gunfire.
The pictures are expected to fetch around 7,000 pounds when they go on sale in London on 13 November.
“AP’s prints of Abraham Zapruder’s footage chillingly captures those fatal moments of one of the most important moments in 20th century history,” the Independent quoted Yuka Yamaji, head of photographs at Christie’s in London, as saying. (ANI)
- JFK hearse up for auction - Dec 20, 2011
- Rare footage that shows JFK's last night made public - Feb 23, 2011
- Tom Hanks to produce new Kennedy film - Aug 18, 2012
- Coffin of JFK's killer sold for $90,000 - Dec 18, 2010
- Today is the 22nd assassination anniversary of John F. Kennedy - Nov 22, 2011
- Lee Harvey Oswald's Getaway Cab Auctioned In Texas For $35,750 - Jun 06, 2010
- JFK assassin Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin up for sale - Dec 02, 2010
- No one will shoot me: JFK told secret service agents - Sep 20, 2011
- JFK library releases last 45 hours of Oval Office tapes - Jan 25, 2012
- Lee Harvey Oswald's coffin sells for $87,469 - Dec 17, 2010
- Marylin Monroe-JFK picture to go under the hammer - Nov 12, 2010
- Kennedy killer's photo not faked, says expert - Nov 09, 2009
- Sinister images of Hitler training as SS officer up for grabs - Nov 29, 2010
- List of suspects behind John F. Kennedy's assasination up for grabs - Dec 13, 2010
- Robert Kennedy's assassin denied parole for 13th time - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: 20th century history, 8mm movie camera, abraham zapruder, amateur cameraman, assassination, associated press, auction market, Images, international auction, jackie kennedy, lee harvey oswald, november 1963, official inquiry, original prints, photographs, presidential limousine, presidential motorcade, vital evidence