Only one in ten mums are white British in some parts of UKAugust 9th, 2010 - 4:33 pm ICT by ANI
London, Aug.9 (ANI): Only one baby in ten born in some parts of the country has a mother of white British origin, figures revealed yesterday.
Britain’s rapidly changing ethnic make-up means white British women are now in a minority on maternity wards in 27 National Health Service (NHS) Hospital trust areas, the Daily Express said.
Across the country as a whole, they still account for 69 per cent of pregnant women receiving hospital care.
But the figures from 150 NHS trusts in England reveal the ethnic diversity in metropolitan areas.
David Coleman, professor of demography at Oxford University, said: “Some ethnic groups have considerably higher birth rates, especially Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. On the other hand, the Chinese and Indian birth rate is lower.”
The average birth rate among white British mothers is 1.7 children. For Pakistanis and Bangladeshis it is about three. (ANI)
- South Asians more prone to heart attacks than whites - Jun 29, 2010
- British hospitals ban caesareans in cost-cutting move - Aug 21, 2011
- British women giving birth in lifts, toilets: report - Aug 26, 2009
- Odisha's health workers fight maternal deaths (Feature) - Mar 12, 2012
- White Britons will be a minority by 2066 if immigration continues in UK - Nov 18, 2010
- A baby is born every 40 seconds in Britain - Jul 25, 2011
- A dai steps toward ensuring safe motherhood in Rajasthan (With images) - May 01, 2012
- Women aged 35 'are six times more likely to suffer fertility problems' - Jan 28, 2011
- 'India fourth worst in maternal care' - May 08, 2012
- Will mums-to-be learn to hypnotize themselves to cut labour pain? - Feb 14, 2011
- Safe motherhood incentives showing positive results: Azad - Aug 01, 2012
- A white ribbon flutters towards safe motherhood in Rajasthan (With Images) - Apr 29, 2012
- Study: One in 20 pregnant women is 'dangerously obese' - Dec 07, 2010
- 'Half of all child deaths in India due to pre-term births' - May 02, 2012
- India ranked third worst on mother care: Report - May 07, 2011
Tags: birth rate, birth rates, british origin, british women, daily express, david coleman, demography, ethnic diversity, hospital trust, maternity wards, mums, national health service, nhs hospital, nhs trusts, oxford university, pakistanis, pregnant women, receiving hospital, trust areas, uk london