‘Only Fools and Horses’ episode named most memorable Brit Christmas TV momentDecember 1st, 2010 - 7:45 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 1(ANI): An episode of the BBC sitcom ‘Only Fools And Horses’ has been named as Britain’s most memorable Christmas television moment.
The 1996 episode saw Del Boy and Rodney dress up as Batman and Robin for a party, which turns out to be a wake beat scenes from ‘Wallace And Gromit and the Snowman’, according to a survey for TV channel Gold.
British sitcoms dominated the poll, with Dawn French as the ‘Vicar of Dibley’ eating four Christmas lunches and Dawn and Tim getting together in ‘The Office’ also in the top ten.
Some serious moments also featured, with the moment when Den hands Angie divorce papers in ‘EastEnders’ coming in ninth.
Paul Moreton, Gold’s channel head, said: “Great TV is one of the pillars of what makes a fantastic Christmas and what unites families.”
“I’m delighted to see that so many of the great British classics are still the mainstay of so many people’s seasonal viewing,” the Telegraph quoted Moreton, as saying.
The poll of 2,000 viewers also revealed that the average British family watches four and half-hours of TV per day in the festive season.
The top ten most memorable TV Christmas moments are:
1. Only Fools and Horses: Heroes & Villains (1996) (Del Boy and Rodney dress up as Batman and Robin)
2. Wallace and Gromit: The Wrong Trousers (1993)
3. The Snowman (1982)
4. Vicar of Dibley: Christmas episode (1996) (Geraldine goes to four Christmas dinners)
5. The Royle Family: Christmas special (1999) (Denise gives birth)
6. The Office: Christmas special (2003) (Dawn and Tim finally get together)
7. Gavin and Stacey: Christmas special (2008)
8. Father Ted: Christmas special (1996) (The priests get lost in a lingerie department)
9. EastEnders (1986) (Den gives Angie divorce papers)
10. Doctor Who: Voyage of the Damned (2007) (David Tennant as The Doctor kisses Kylie Minogue as Astrid Peth) (ANI)
- Only Fools & Horses Christmas special most viewed TV show of noughties - Dec 23, 2009
- Royal wedding audience tops only an episode of 'Only Fools And Horses' - May 02, 2011
- Billy Mitchell to carry Olympic flame through Albert Square - Nov 15, 2011
- EastEnders to show B&B fire - Sep 21, 2011
- EastEnders'' Dirty Den divorce scene voted Favourite Christmas Soap Moment Of All Time - Dec 26, 2008
- Kardashian wants to be part of British soaps - Jun 13, 2012
- Fawlty Towers voted the most iconic TV comedy ever - Apr 19, 2008
- Wallace and Gromit recreate Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal in new TV ad - May 12, 2010
- Wallace and Gromit most watched TV show in UK on Christmas - Dec 27, 2008
- EastEnders confirms sex exploitation plot, Whitney Dean all set to steal the show - Jan 10, 2011
- Shane Richie is all set to be a father again - Apr 04, 2011
- Stella McCartney to make acting debut - Dec 03, 2011
- Jessie Wallace calls off wedding to Vince Morse - Aug 29, 2011
- Brit TV dramas portray characters with mental health issues as 'dangerous' - Nov 22, 2010
- EastEnders fans complain of sea-sickness after watching camera wobbling scene - Jul 19, 2011
Tags: batman and robin, bbc sitcom, british sitcoms, christmas episode, christmas lunches, christmas moments, christmas television, david tennant, dawn french, divorce papers, father ted, fools and horses, kylie minogue, lingerie department, memorable christmas, office christmas, paul moreton, royle family, wallace and gromit, wallace and gromit the wrong trousers