ONGC formalizes move for uranium huntNovember 11th, 2008 - 6:53 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov.11 (ANI): The Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC) has signed an MoU with Uranium Corporation of India Ltd. (UCIL) for joint cooperation in uranium exploration and development.
The MoU was signed in South Block by ONGC CMD R S Sharma and UCIL CMD Ramendra Gupta in the presence of Chairman of Atomic Energy Commission (and Secretary, Department of Atomic Energy) Dr. Anil Kakodkar.
ONGC Directors Dr. A K Balyan, N K Mitra, D K Pande and U N Bose were also present on the occasion.
The initiative is based on complementary expertise of the two public Enterprises. ONGC has rich experience in hydrocarbon exploration; UCIL, under the Department of Atomic Energy, is in the forefront of Uranium mining and processing, backed by Atomic Minerals Directorate for Exploration and Research headed by Dr. Anjan Chaki.
The cross-fertilization of ideas and technologies are bound to synergize the new endeavour of Uranium prospecting and mining. UCIL is actively exploring possibilities of acquiring Uranium properties and exploration licenses in several countries. ONGCs overseas arm ONGC Videsh Ltd.
A Steering Committee will be formed immediately and will evolve a time bound programme. ONGC has already initiated the exercise of studying its well logs which have indicated trace presence of the mineral in some wells. (ANI)
- ONGC, Uranium Corp sign exploration pact - Nov 11, 2008
- India, Saskatchewan sign MoU on mineral resources - Mar 15, 2011
- India, Russia sign 29 agreements from defence to trade - Dec 22, 2010
- Meghalaya uranium project to go ahead despite opposition - Nov 09, 2010
- Meghalaya civil groups oppose uranium mining project - Nov 10, 2010
- Uranium ore mine in commissioned in Andhra Pradesh - Apr 20, 2012
- India signs MoU with Canada's Ontario province (With Image) - Jul 09, 2010
- Uranium not responsible for dying fish, says Meghalaya - Apr 20, 2012
- Uranium ore mine commissioned in Andhra Pradesh (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- India, Kazakhstan sign civil n-pact, unveil strategic roadmap (Lead) - Apr 16, 2011
- India, Kazakhstan sign seven bilateral agreements (update) - Apr 16, 2011
- India, Ontario sign MoU for cooperation in 'Geology and Mineral Resources' - Jul 09, 2010
- On energy prowl, India to dig into Kazakh oil treasure - Apr 15, 2011
- CAG critical of ONGC exploration performance - Aug 28, 2012
- Finally, India gets stake in Kazakh oil block - Apr 16, 2011
Tags: anil kakodkar, anjan, atomic energy commission, complementary expertise, corporation ltd, cross fertilization, exploration licenses, hydrocarbon exploration, india ltd, mitra, overseas arm, pande, rich experience, secretary department, ucil, uranium corporation, uranium exploration, uranium mining, videsh, well logs