One thousand ex-combatants to lay down arms in West DarfurApril 18th, 2011 - 4:30 am ICT by BNO News
DARFUR (BNO NEWS) — More than 1,000 former fighters in the Darfur conflict have pledged to surrender their weapons and begin the process of reintegration into civilian life, the African Union/United Nations Hybrid operation in Darfur (UNAMID) said on Sunday.
Sunday marked the launch of a UNAMID-supported disarmament program in El Geneina of West Darfur. The ex-combatants who have pledged to participate are former members of government armed forces and several rebel movements.
The ten-day exercise is organised by the National Sudanese Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration Coordination Council, with logistical support from UNAMID and other local organizations.
Throughout the program, UNAMID will also be providing medical examinations and HIV/AIDS counseling to the participants. After registering and handing over their arms, the participants will receive material support and occupational training with which they may earn a living.
The conflict in Darfur began in February 2003 and has resulted in a humanitarian disaster, leaving hundreds of thousands of people killed and millions more displaced.
- Four UN peacekeepers killed in West Darfur ambush - Oct 05, 2012
- Heavy rain collapses buildings in Darfur, killing 20 soldiers - Aug 03, 2011
- UN peacekeeper killed in armed attack at IDP camp in South Darfur - Aug 13, 2012
- UN passes resolution on HIV awareness in peacekeeping - Jun 08, 2011
- CARE International worker killed in South Darfur - Jan 09, 2011
- U.S. Senator John Kerry visits Sudan ahead of south's referendum - Jan 08, 2011
- Three peacekeepers killed in Sudan's Darfur - Oct 11, 2011
- Kidnapped Briton released in Sudan - May 31, 2012
- African Union-United Nations in Darfur reports fighting in Sudan - Mar 03, 2010
- Four UN peacekeepers still unaccounted for in Darfur - Apr 16, 2010
- Sudan rebels claim to have killed 130 soldiers - Feb 28, 2012
- UN peacekeeping official says there is hope for Darfur - Feb 12, 2010
- Eight civilians killed in Sudan's weekend bombings of South Sudan - Apr 18, 2012
- UN peacekeeping force in Darfur denies hijacking of Russian helicopter - Jul 28, 2010
- Over 60 killed, hundreds displaced in Darfur violence - May 26, 2009
Tags: combatants, coordination council, darfur, darfur conflict, demobilization, disarmament program, former members, hiv aids, humanitarian disaster, hundreds of thousands, hybrid operation, launch, logistical support, material support, medical examinations, rebel movements, reintegration, sudanese, unamid, united nations