One-legged parrot to be fitted with prosthetic legFebruary 24th, 2008 - 11:31 am ICT by admin
London, Feb 24 (ANI): A one-legged parrot is perching on a scientific breakthrough, for it is about to be fitted with a wooden leg.
George the parrot, a ten-year-old African Grey, lost a claw after being attacked by a wild animal, which broke into his cage a year and a half ago.
The missing limb means whenever George tries to sleep, he slips off his perch, squawking “Bloody Hell!” in surprise.
The birdies owner was concerned for him, and so Sheila Weare sought advice from experts at the University of Salford.
You can tell by the way he fidgets that he’s not comfortable and he has to bite the bars of his cage at night to balance, the Telegraph quoted Weare, as saying.
In the therapy, the perch will be fitted with a specially-moulded slot, into which George will be trained to insert his stump at night.
Dr Glyn Heath, who runs the animal prosthetics firm Lacerta, said that this is the first time he has worked on a parrot.
“While I’ve worked on dogs, rats and even a panda, George is my first bird. He’s quite a challenge as he’ll be more difficult to train than a dog. But with the simple solution, I’m hopeful that we can give him a little more comfort,” he said. (ANI)
- Meet Jack the parrot who scared off gang of thieves with savage attack - Sep 16, 2010
- Girl locked in cage with wolves - Apr 06, 2012
- Parrot scares off burglars - Mar 01, 2012
- Rooney coaches family parrot to speak his son's name! - May 07, 2010
- Mummies' toes may be world's earliest prosthetic body parts - Feb 14, 2011
- Arunima recovering, mother thanks AIIMS - Apr 21, 2011
- World's first dog with 4 bionic legs - Jun 23, 2011
- Parrot that tried to mate with wildlife presenter gets New Zealand govt job! - Feb 02, 2010
- Exotic bird lands on Matt Lauer's head during show - Aug 12, 2011
- Egyptians used world's earliest prosthetics - Feb 14, 2011
- From Hillary Clinton to Romney's dog, Obama pokes fun at all - Apr 29, 2012
- Hic! Tipsy parrots nursing hangover - Nov 04, 2011
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Woman mauled by cheetahs in South African game park - May 04, 2012
- Quentin Tarantino sues neighbour Alan Ball over his loud macaws - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: advice from experts, african grey, birdies, bloody hell, dogs, first bird, glyn, heath, lacerta, london feb, panda, rats, scientific breakthrough, sheila, simple solution, telegraph, university of salford, weare, wild animal, wooden leg