one killed, several injured in US subway collisionJune 23rd, 2009 - 5:43 am ICT by IANS
Washington, June 23 (DPA) A subway train derailed and collided with a second train Monday in the US capital Washington with at least one person killed and many injured, authorities said.
The accident occurred around 5 p.m. near Washington’s border with the state of Maryland, and there were “preliminary reports of injuries,” according to a statement from the Washington Metro Area Transit Authority.
Local broadcaster NBC 4 reported at least 55 injured.
A Washington Fire Department spokesman Allan Etter told NBC 4 that at least one person was killed, and there were other “severe” injuries. Rescue workers were engaged in “mass-casualty operations,” he said.
- Four killed, 66 injured in US subway collision (Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- Hundreds injured after subway trains collide in Shanghai - Sep 28, 2011
- Truck-train collision injures 15 in US - Oct 05, 2011
- Passenger train derails in Washington, D.C., no reports of injuries (Update) - Feb 12, 2010
- Train derailment in central Poland kills 1, injures dozens - Aug 13, 2011
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- Two train accidents injure 21 - Nov 23, 2011
- Passenger trains collide in Washington D.C. - Jun 23, 2009
- Six killed, 70 injured in US subway collision (Second Lead) - Jun 23, 2009
- 25 dead as Hampi Express rams into goods train in Andhra (Second Lead) - May 22, 2012
- 240 injured in Shanghai subway trains' accident - Sep 27, 2011
- Two killed as train derails in US - Aug 22, 2012
- 33 killed in Indonesia train collision (Lead) - Oct 02, 2010
- Three dead as Doon Express derails in UP (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Two killed in Assam train accident (Lead) - Feb 03, 2012
Tags: area transit authority, authorities, broadcaster, fire department spokesman, june 23, mass casualty, nbc, state of maryland, subway train, washington fire department, washington metro area, washington metro area transit authority