One killed in Bolivian autonomy referendum violence (Lead)May 5th, 2008 - 7:26 pm ICT by admin
Santa Cruz (Bolivia), May 5 (IANS) At least one person has been killed and 35 injured in clashes during an autonomy referendum in this eastern Bolivian province, Spain’s EFE news agency reported quoting hospital sources. President Alvaro Morales’ government called Sunday’s referendum illegal and that it would not recognise autonomy, regardless of the outcome of the vote.
According to an exit poll conducted by Red Uno TV, 85.9 percent of the voters supported autonomy, while Unitel TV found 85 percent “Yes” vote.
Santa Cruz is the country’s wealthiest province with large reserves of natural gas. The province is seeking more autonomy over its security, energy resources and finances.
Although no voter turnout was given, several observers said a large number of people had participated in the polls.
In many towns of the province, supporters of the ruling Movement Toward Socialism party (MAS), clashed with the central government supporters.
The province has 935,959 registered voters.
- Bolivia pursues hydro-power deal with China - Jul 30, 2012
- Bolivian province voted for more autonomy: Exit polls - Jun 23, 2008
- Bolivian president enacts new constitution - Feb 08, 2009
- Cold wave kills six million fish in Bolivia - Aug 04, 2010
- In all-out power struggle, Bolivia to hold risky referendum - May 03, 2008
- Jindal Steel to exit Bolivia's largest mining project - Jun 11, 2012
- 20 injured in clashes during referendum in Bolivian province - May 05, 2008
- Turks vote on proposed constitutional reforms - Sep 12, 2010
- Bolivia asks Jindal to honour $2.1 bn investment pledge - Dec 31, 2009
- OAS expresses support for Bolivia's territorial integrity - May 04, 2008
- Over two million register for Bolivia elections - Sep 09, 2009
- Jindal to export 1 mn tonnes of Bolivian iron ore in 2011 - Jan 21, 2011
- Chinese to train Bolivians how to operate satellites - Apr 04, 2010
- 'Jindal's steel and power project will transform Bolivia' - Jun 16, 2011
- Bolivia to buy satellite from Chinese firm - Dec 14, 2010
Tags: autonomy, central government, clashes, efe news agency, energy resources, exit poll, government supporters, hospital sources, natural gas, observers, polls, referendum, registered voters, santa cruz bolivia, socialism, tv 85, unitel tv, violence, vote, voter turnout