One killed, four hurt in Indonesia quakesApril 12th, 2012 - 12:56 pm ICT by IANS
Jakarta, April 12 (IANS) One person was killed and four injured following massive earthquakes in Indonesia’s Aceh Wednesday, an official said here Thursday.
Sutopo Purwo Nugroho, head of Data Center, Information and Public Relations at the National Agency for Disaster Mitigation, said the Quick Response Unit has been collecting data on damage and loss in province of North Sumatra, Aceh, West Sumatra and Bengkulu.
“In Lhoksemauwe regency, a 39-year-old man died due to heart attack while in Simeulue regency, four people suffered mild injury. In West Aceh regency, one bridge collapsed,” Xinhua quoted him as saying.
According to him, most refugees have returned to their houses and condition is back to normal.
He added that up till now 28 aftershocks had occurred with decreasing magnitude.
Two massive earthquakes of 8.6 and 8.2 on the Richter scale struck off Indonesia Wednesday, triggering a tsunami alert in 28 countries, including India. The temblors brought back terrifying memories of the 2004 tsunami that left over 200,000 dead.
- Five killed in Indonesian quakes (Lead) - Apr 12, 2012
- Tornado hits Indonesia - Jan 26, 2012
- Indonesia: Five killed, several injured in Wednesday's earthquakes - Apr 12, 2012
- Second temblor rocks Indonesia - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 2) - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, generate small tsunamis (Update 3) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami alert following Indonesia quake - Apr 11, 2012
- Huge earthquakes strike off Indonesia, prompt tsunami warnings (Update 1) - Apr 11, 2012
- Quake rattles Sumatra, India feels tremors (Third Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Tsunami fears ease after powerful earthquake off Northern Sumatra - May 09, 2010
- 7.7 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Sumatra Island - Oct 26, 2010
- Huge quake off Indonesia prompts tsunami warnings - Apr 11, 2012
- Strong quake jolts Indonesia's Aceh (Lead) - Apr 07, 2010
- Recalling the 2004 tsunami that devastated Aceh - Apr 11, 2012
- Tremors in Kolkata, Metro services halted - Apr 11, 2012
Tags: aftershocks, bengkulu, disaster mitigation, earthquakes in indonesia, heart attack, jakarta, magnitude, massive earthquakes, mild injury, north sumatra, quakes, quick response, refugees, response unit, richter scale, temblors, tsunami alert, west aceh, west sumatra, xinhua