One killed as drug plane makes forced landing in HondurasJuly 4th, 2012 - 12:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tegucigalpa, July 4 (IANS/EFE) One person was killed and another injured Tuesday when their small plane loaded with cocaine made a forced landing near the eastern Honduran town of Catacamas, authorities said.
The spokesman for the security ministry, Hector Ivan Mejia, told reporters that the incident occurred in the early hours.
Honduran police were alerted to the incursion in national air space of a small plane which they pursued with the help of agents from the US Drug Enforcement Administration, he said.
He added that the twin-engine plane, which was slightly damaged, was carrying up to 600 kg of cocaine.
Mejia said he didn’t know the identity of the two crew members of the Colombian-registered aircraft, though they were thought to be Brazilians.
The drugs and injured crew member were taken to Tegucigalpa, according to the spokesman, who gave no details about how the forced landing came about.
In 2011 Honduran authorities confiscated more than 22 tonnes of cocaine in a number of operations, some of them in coordination with the US Coast Guard.
- Drug-laden plane crashes in Honduras - Jul 04, 2012
- 16 members of a family slaughtered in Honduras - Sep 21, 2012
- Honduran police find burnt aircraft - Dec 20, 2011
- Cocaine found on submarine in Honduran waters - Jul 30, 2011
- Kids among eight hacked to death in Honduras - Jan 12, 2012
- Seven tonnes of cocaine found in submarine - Jul 31, 2011
- Honduras prison fire: President vows full investigation - Feb 16, 2012
- Journalist kidnapped in Honduras - May 10, 2012
- Police seize 460 kg of cocaine in Honduras - Oct 08, 2010
- 19 soldiers implicated in plane theft in Honduras - Nov 07, 2010
- US Coast Guard seizes ship with 3.5 tonnes cocaine - Aug 06, 2010
- Colombia seizes 2.2 tonnes of cocaine - Sep 13, 2011
- Six killed in Venezuelan plane crash - Feb 23, 2011
- Impounded plane stolen in Colombia - Jun 12, 2012
- Colombia seizes 2.6 tonnes of cocaine - Jun 06, 2012
Tags: air space, brazilians, cocaine, coordination, crew member, crew members, drug enforcement administration, drug plane, efe, hector, honduran authorities, honduras tegucigalpa, incursion, ivan, july 4, mejia, spokesman, tonnes, twin engine plane, us coast guard