One killed, 3 hurt in shooting at US gurudwara (Second Lead)August 6th, 2012 - 2:05 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 6 (IANS) A shooting at a Sikh gurudwara (temple) in Oak Creek, Wisconsin, just south of Milwaukee, Sunday, left at least three people critically wounded and one gunman killed by a police officer, according to local media reports.
The officer was wounded but “returned fire, and that shooter was put down,” Bradley Wentlandt, the police chief in nearby Greenfield told reporters, according to CNN. Wentlandt called it “an ongoing and very fluid situation”.
“At this time, we don’t know if there are additional shooters inside the temple,” he said. SWAT teams were combing through the temple, he said.
Members of the police SWAT team have begun removing the injured from the temple’s prayer room, the Journal-Sentinel reported.
Among those shot was Satwant Kaleka, president of the temple, Greenfield, Wisconsin, Wentlandt told the newspaper.
People inside the temple are using cell phones to call people outside, asking for help, temple committee member Ven Boba Ri who was outside of the temple, said.
Lee Biblo, chief medical officer at Froedtert Hospital, told CNN that the injured are all adults, all male and all in critical condition.
The Journal-Sentinel cited Sukhwindar Nagr as saying he called his brother-in-law’s phone and a priest at the temple answered, telling him that his brother-in-law had been shot, along with three priests.
Gurcharan Grewal, president of the Sikh Religious Society of Wisconsin, told CNN that he has heard from multiple people that wounded victims were still inside the temple and that there may have been multiple perpetrators. Police have sealed off the entire area, he said.
–Indo-Asian News Service
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- 7 killed in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
- 7 killed, 3 critically hurt in shooting at US gurudwara (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Four shot at gurudwara in US, two critical (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- US investigating Sikh gurdwara shooting as domestic terrorism - Aug 06, 2012
- Several injured in shooting at US gurudwara - Aug 06, 2012
- Was the gurdwara shooter a white supremacist? (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara chief, priests among US shooting victims - Aug 06, 2012
- Michelle Obama meets with gurdwara victims - Aug 24, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: FBI looks for motive, India shocked (Fourth Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Hundreds honour US gurdwara shooting victims - Aug 11, 2012
- India shocked as FBI hunts for gurdwara killings' motive (Third Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Gurdwara shooting: Lone bullet hole left as grim reminder - Aug 10, 2012
- Ex-US soldier kills six in gurdwara, India outraged (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- US gurdwara gunman sported 9/11 tattoo - Aug 06, 2012
Tags: asian news, biblo, boba, cnn, committee member, critical condition, fluid situation, greenfield wisconsin, gunman, journal sentinel, least three people, local media, medical officer, oak creek wisconsin, police chief, police swat team, prayer room, religious society, sikh gurudwara, swat teams