One killed, 16 missing in Canada chopper crashMarch 13th, 2009 - 3:22 am ICT by IANS
Ottawa, March 13 (Xinhua) One person was kiled and 16 others were missing Thursday when the helicopter in which they were travelling crashed into the North Atlantic off the coast of Canada’s Newfoundland province, officials said.The aircraft, carrying 18 oil workers, was on its way to Hibernia offshore platform.
One person was rescued, one killed, while 16 others were missing after the accident at around 9.18 a.m., Major Dennis McGuire of the Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre, told reporters.
Two rafts that can be deployed from the helicopter were found near the accident site. There was no sign of survivors, McGuire said. The debris of the aircraft was spread across a six km area. Search for the missing people was continuing, he added.
The chopper was initially spotted floating upside down but later sank, he said.
Julie Leroux, a spokeswoman for the Transportation Safety Board, told reporters: “Mechanical problems were reported and we don’t know of what nature.”
Canada’s coast guards have sent a ship to help in the rescue work.
- Canadian chopper crashes into Atlantic, 16 missing (Lead) - Mar 13, 2009
- Eight drown as Chinese cargo ship sinks - Feb 18, 2012
- Coast Guard rescues six fishermen from rough sea (With Images) - May 20, 2011
- Sailor dies, six others go missing after a vessel capsizes off Gujarat coast - Jan 23, 2011
- Ferry with 250 people sinks off Tanzania - Jul 18, 2012
- Seven migrants dead in boat capsize off Indonesia - Nov 01, 2011
- 246 survive Papua New Guinea ferry accident - Feb 03, 2012
- You can fidget your way to fitness - Jun 29, 2011
- Russian tugboat with crewmembers sinks in Laptev Sea - Aug 27, 2010
- 40 Haitian immigrants drown off Cuban coast - Dec 26, 2011
- Lebanese families remember loved ones on Titanic - Apr 17, 2012
- Five drown as Iranian ship sinks (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- Eight missing as boat sinks in Philippines - Feb 01, 2010
- Eight die in China boat capsize - Sep 10, 2011
- Five die in US chopper crash - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: chopper, crash, debris, helicopter, hibernia, leroux, mechanical problems, missing people, nature canada, newfoundland, offshore platform, oil workers, ordination, ottawa march, platform one, rafts, spokeswoman, survivors, transportation safety board, xinhua