One dead, twenty injured in South Africa bus-taxi crashDecember 20th, 2010 - 5:19 pm ICT by BNO News
CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA (BNO NEWS) — One person was killed on Monday and twenty others were injured when a fully-laden minibus taxi slammed into a passenger bus on the N1 highway in South Africa, officials said.
Netcare 911 spokesman Jeffrey Wicks said the accident happened on the N1 in Wynburg, a southern suburb of Cape Town in Western Cape. He said it is believed the taxi slammed into the rear of the bus which was stationary at the roadside.
“Netcare 911 Paramedics arrived at the scene to find five critically injured taxi occupants heavily entrapped in the mangled wreckage of the vehicle which was still wedged against the bus,” Wicks said. “With the assistance of the firefighters and rescue technicians, the injured were cut free from the wreckage while medics worked fervently to stabilize them.”
Wicks said another person was killed while 15 others were taken to area hospitals with less severe injuries. All passengers on the bus were able to exit the vehicle uninjured.
The South African Police Force will investigate the cause of the accident.
Taxi accidents happen frequently in South Africa, often resulting in mass casualties as taxis carry many passengers. Earlier this month, six people were killed and others were seriously injured when a truck crushed a taxi that had just been in an accident.
- Train crash in South Africa kills 1, injures more than 80 - Apr 08, 2011
- Scores injured when taxi overturns in South Africa - Dec 29, 2010
- 30 people killed in head-on collision in South Africa - Dec 11, 2011
- Babies among 19 dead in South Africa bus wreck - Jan 15, 2011
- Bus crash kills at least 19 in South Africa - Jan 15, 2011
- 19 dead in South Africa road accident - Dec 28, 2011
- Nearly 100 injured in South Africa train crash - Jan 15, 2011
- 20 killed in South Africa accident - Nov 15, 2011
- Scores injured after trains collide head-on near Johannesburg - Sep 10, 2010
- Security officer shot in the head at South African airport - Aug 11, 2010
- Dozens injured after trains crash near Johannesburg - official - Sep 10, 2010
- Dozens injured as luxury train derails in South Africa - Apr 21, 2010
- Five killed in Istanbul accident - Oct 22, 2011
- Bus accident in northern Pakistan kills 6, injures 23 - Jan 17, 2012
- Truck driver dies in crash after running down cyclist - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: accidents, bno, cape town south africa, firefighters, mass casualties, medics, minibus taxi, n1 highway, netcare 911, occupants, paramedics, passenger bus, police force, rescue technicians, south african police, southern suburb, spokesman, taxis, wicks, wreckage